Should I Change Water Pump When Chaning Timing Belt?

I am having the timing belt of my 97 ES300 with 110,000km changed as per manufacturer's recommendation of changing timing belt at 100,000km.

My question is whether I should change the water pump as well while changing the time belt? Typically when will the water pump fail under normal use?

I was told that the labor involved in changing the water pump is comparable to that of changing the timing belt as many things need to be removed in order to change the water pump. I am thinking whether I should change the water pump as well as a preventive measure, or leave it to save the money.

Thanks in advance.

I am having the timing belt of my 97 ES300 with 110,000km changed as per manufacturer's recommendation of changing timing belt at 100,000km.

My question is whether I should change the water pump as well while changing the time belt? Typically when will the water pump fail under normal use?

I was told that the labor involved in changing the water pump is comparable to that of changing the timing belt as many things need to be removed in order to change the water pump. I am thinking whether I should change the water pump as well as a preventive measure, or leave it to save the money.

Thanks in advance.

The cost of a new water pump itself is not that much, but the labor cost involved to replace it is substantial. The timing belt has to be removed to get to the pump, so this is why it is recommended that both are replaced at the same time, regardless of whether or not the pump is still working. You are not saving yourself much money by not replacing the pump at this time, but if you need to replace it a year or two from now, it will likely cost you about the same as the cost of changing your timing belt. I recently had to replace a leaking pump and it just happened to coincide nicely with it being also time to replace the timing belt, so I obviously took care of both at once. There was no extra labor charge to do both.

I am having the timing belt replace on the 15th of this month. The waterpump will be done, too.

Not that it is needed, I just don't want to have to go back in should the waterpump fail within the next 90k miles. While they are in their, replacing both will/should be cheaper in the long run.

steviej

Thank you all for your good advice. I'll change the water pump as well then. :)

A wise decision.

As the old saying goes:

" An ounce of prevention is worth five pounds of dead water pump six months from now" ohsnap1.gif

I called the mechanic to ask him to change the water pump as well. He told me the water pump was not in perfect condition after he inspected it after removing the timing belt. Yes, it must be changed.

Thank you all again for the good advice.:cheers: