Uneven Tire Wear

I have about 20,000 miles on my IS 350. Recently took it in to get serviced and was informed that I had to change my front 2 tires (Dunlop Sport Maxx).. I checked them out and the inner portion of each tire was completely worn out but the rest of the tire was good. I know that most times this is due to the alignment being off, but that wasn't the problem.. The dealer told me that this is due to the tires being so wide and also due to the dragging effect that is caused when turning (I think this is "BS").

Any one had this problem??

You are probably right about the alignment. Too much negative camber and/or toe-in versus spec are possible suspects. Not the width of the tire.

We checked the full geometry in the UK and obtained the Lexus specs and they've repeated the same mistake they had on the Is300 which causes wear on the very inner edge. I've seen them down to the wire right on the inner edge but without taking the wheel off or checking the tyres on full steering lock you wouldn't notice.

Check out this site and post or pm Tony Bones 'The Doctor'

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info....

I bought my IS250 last Saturday. They told me more then once to make sure I have the tire rotated every oil change (5000 miles). Does everyone do that?

Dan

You can't rotate the tires, but only side to side, I guess. What's the word I'm looking for?? They're staggered.

Incidentally, I had 30,000 miles on my last car with the same tires.......

You can't rotate the tires, but only side to side, I guess. What's the word I'm looking for?? They're staggered.

Also worth noting, even if you could rotate front to back, it wouldn't resolve this problem anyway, as only the inside edge is wearing.

I guess you could always have your tires taken off the wheels and turned around every 5,000 miles. :blush:

Also worth noting, even if you could rotate front to back, it wouldn't resolve this problem anyway, as only the inside edge is wearing.

I guess you could always have your tires taken off the wheels and turned around every 5,000 miles. :blush:

Duh! lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I have about 20,000 miles on my IS 350. Recently took it in to get serviced and was informed that I had to change my front 2 tires (Dunlop Sport Maxx).. I checked them out and the inner portion of each tire was completely worn out but the rest of the tire was good. I know that most times this is due to the alignment being off, but that wasn't the problem.. The dealer told me that this is due to the tires being so wide and also due to the dragging effect that is caused when turning (I think this is "BS").

Any one had this problem??

Yep. Same exact problem on my IS 250 AWD. Does not appear to be at all out of alignment, but tires are wearing on the inside edge. I have 15K on the car right now and do not expect to get more than another 5k on the currrent tires. 5/6ths of the tires are fine. Looks like crap design to me.