Gs Windshields Not Durable?

I'm considering a new GS for sometime this summer. On another Lexus forum, I came across a thread regarding the windshields of the GS's. I'm guessing the newer GS's if not all.

In the thread there are complaints that the windshields are not very durable. They easily chip, scratch and at times, even break.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253933

Unless I've missed a thread, I have not seen this complaint on this forum.

Any complaints regarding the windshields?

TIA

Its the same glas you've got on your ES. Lexus windshields are thicker than windshields from most other manufacturers, and I dont know about you but I'm constantly amazed things that hit my windshield don't crack it.

It all depends on what kind of roads you drive on, how closely you follow large trucks etc.

Its the same glas you've got on your ES. Lexus windshields are thicker than windshields from most other manufacturers, and I dont know about you but I'm constantly amazed things that hit my windshield don't crack it.

It all depends on what kind of roads you drive on, how closely you follow large trucks etc.

Yes, I feel that I have pretty good glass on my ES. I have not found any problems with it.

It would seem strange for Lexus to use anything less on the GS, or any other car. I can't even begin to imagine what the reason would be to have a glass that would respond the way some are saying in the other forum.

Keep in mind too that a lot of the members on the other board are young, boy racer types into mods and tuning. Theres a propensity to drive aggressively which includes tailgating etc. Much more likely to break windshields in that scenario.

• 8 months later...

My GS300's windshield chipped and cracked when an approximately 1 inch rock hit it going at about 50mph. The rock came from a truck that was in the lane next to me. It seemed to hit it at an angle and didn't make a very loud sound so it seemed odd that it ruined the windshield so easily. I assumed it must have had a sharp edge. The windshield was covered by insurance though. Lexus did a perfect job replacing it. The replacement is undedectable.

• 2 weeks later...

I may not be much of a expert since I just bought my car few days back. I drove it from Dallas to Little Rock and on the way something hit my windshield it looked like the size of a white board eraser. It hit my windshield while I was doing 80 mph and it was loud. I was sure there would be crack or atleast a chip on windshield but I looked the next morning after washing the car there was nothing. Thank God

• 5 months later...
I'm considering a new GS for sometime this summer. On another Lexus forum, I came across a thread regarding the windshields of the GS's. I'm guessing the newer GS's if not all.

In the thread there are complaints that the windshields are not very durable. They easily chip, scratch and at times, even break.

TIA

We replaced 3 winshields since 2006

• 4 weeks later...

TIA

99 GS300 original owner.....I think it IS on the chincy side....lots of sand fleck marks like you get out west when they put sand on the highways when it snows...... I have a 928 and used to have an audi and rocks as big as golfballs would bounce off them without a mark.....they even sounded twice as thick as the GS!!

I understand non-factory original replacements can squeak and make obnocious noises!