Timing Belt/water Pump Job-strange Noise

osetleo

I have 62K on RX300-99. The manual recommends the timing belt replacement around 90K on these vehicle. Would you please let me know when (at what mileage) you did the timing belt/water pump replacement. Did somebody did this job by themselves and do you have instruction manual how to do it on Lexus?

This morning I started my wife's car and it (for the first time) produced very strange noise coming from the area of the water pump that reminded me a sound of saw that is going out of control. I stopped the engine, started it again to reproduce the noise and everything is normal again. I drove the car specifically the entire day with multiple starts and everything is normal. Did somebody experienced anything similar on the RXs?

Appreciate your input.

I had mine changed at a toyota dealership, they replaced the water pump and timing belt for $500. I could have doneit myself, but just didnt feel like it. The belt was about $40 and the pump was around $80. So the rest was labor. I changed mine at 98k miles and the belt looked great, no wear at all, the water pump was not leaking but the bearing was just starting to feel rough when I spun it. I wish I had changed the idler bearing also, but its done now. Many on this site feel the belt will go an easy 120k. I believe them. Do the water pump regardless because you are already in there and it would be a bummer to have it leak on the new timing belt which drives it.

I had mine done at 90k at my trusted local shop (independent) I might have had the local Toyota dealer do it but they refuse to service Lexus' even though the nearest Lexus dealer is 30 miles away (Bas_t_a_r_d_s!) My guys did it for $6-700 but that included a trans flush and a new drive (serpentine) belt. I could have done mine myself too but Id probably still be trying to get it all back together!

• 2 months later...

I have a 2001 RX300 with 95K miles. The dealer recommended a timing belt/water pump replacement which I agreed to and had done. The check engine and VSC light came on by time I drove the car home. I brought the car back the next day and the dealer told me they put the belt on misaligned by 1 tooth and needed to realign the timing belt. I got the car back and the check engine light is now out.

The car now makes a noise which is worse when cold but still evident after warm up. The noise sounds like an old car I had years ago when the power steering pump was low on fluid. (a sort of whinning noise) My RX never made noise before changing the timing belt.

I brought the car back and the service manager told me this noise is normal after a timing belt replacement and should be gone after about 800 miles. I have driven 500 miles so far and the noise is still there.

Has anyone else had a timing belt replaced and had a noise generated from the new belt for some perioid of time? I am suspect of this claim by the service manager but wanted to check with other RX300 owners before making yet another trip to the dealer.

thanks

len

Proper belt replacement jobs (any belt, not just a timing belt) don't require a break-in period at all. In fact, a new belt properly installed, aligned, and tightened delivers its very best performance and quietness during the first few thousand miles of its life and then gradually decays over time.

Your dealer is attempting to blow smoke up your !Removed!. Don't let him get away with it....

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Lexus dealer to agree that the noise after changing the timimg belt was not normal and they took my car back.

They have had the car 2 days and just called saying the noise is the transmission front pump and had nothing to do with the work they did on the timing bely and serpentine belt.

Funny coincidence that I have owned this car for 6.5 years with no noises or problems and this started on the day I had the timing belt replaced (actually, they did the belt twice as they installed it off by one tooth the first time and the check engine light came on before I got home).

Can the transmission front pump be related to their work? The dealer says they are not and it is a coincidence. I don't know what the front pump is so it is hard to agree or disagree...

Thanks in advance for any comments!

len

After researching this forum a bit looks like transmission problems are fairly common on the RX300. (mine has 95K miles)

Still think it is a funny coincidence, but really can't see the connection to the timing belt work.

The dealer says I need to replace the transmission.

sigh

After researching this forum a bit looks like transmission problems are fairly common on the RX300. (mine has 95K miles)

Still think it is a funny coincidence, but really can't see the connection to the timing belt work.

The dealer says I need to replace the transmission.

sigh

Len, the trans problems were primarily with the 99 and 00 models and while there may be a some I really don't recall any 01 trans failures reported on this board. If you do a little research on the trans failures you'll see the number bear that out. I also dont recall anyone reporting the type of noise you mention when they did have a trans failure. In fact I remember most people not getting much warning at all.

Again this has all been chronicled faily extensively in the archives. Also, at 95 k you may still be able to get lexus to pick up part of the tab, if it actually is the trans under a "goodwill" warranty that is detailed in many other posts.

I'd get a second opinion on the repair if I were you , sounds like someones jacking you around.