120k Mile Checklist

Hello,

I got my 96 ES300 about 6mos ago and after looking at the previous records, the previousm owner never did anything much other than take it to jiffy lube for oil changes, not even the timing belt at 90K!! (seeing an extremely dirty air filter on the air box should have told me something, but none the less the car is now mine and have to maintain it and get it close to HAPPY as possible) so right now i am trying to think what maintenance items could have been missed, I already changed spark plugs (not sure but i think those were original spark plugs) and air filter.

Don't know how often the fuel filter needs to be replaced, I looked through the service manual and it does not mention it.

clean the intake throttle body (i saw a previous post on it)

but what else do you guys think should be on the check list of things to do.

I am setting up to do a brake pad change on all 4, so maybe i can do it all at once.

thanks for the help.

Wow, Charger, you're in the same boat as me! I got my 103,000 mile 97 ES300 about 2 months ago and I've been doing gradual 'Car-Be-Good' upgrades and replacements to a ton of stuff. Replaced air filter (mine, too was super dirty), a fresh oil change to be on the safe side, put some Iridium spark plugs in, and today I'm replacing my brake pads with a 100 dollar set for all 4. Also I've thrown a few bottles of injector cleaner, Marvel's Mystery Oil, and Heet through the gastank.

My car's had 3 previous owners and now me (Thank you Carfax) and the only one who documented scheduled maintenance was the first one. So I've got a good 70 thousand mile gap of who knows what.

I'm also curious to what would be next on the checklist. Once I put a few thousand miles on my oil, I was thinking I'll just have Lexus give it a good once-over and do a full tune up with all fluids changed, engine cleaned, etc.

Basically, I'd assume the former owner was consistantly a slug with all the upkeep to protect yourself. The PCV, fuel filter, cabin air filter (check threads on this; if there is not one in the slot, add one) all need attention. I'd flush and renew engine oil/filter; transmission needs it's 120k filter/fluid change (check threads on this, lotsa good stuff) and add an inline transmission fluid filter which renew at every 10k. Flush/refill power steering and brake fluid (use DOT 4). You get all the fluids at Pep Boys (or the Toyota stealership if you want to pay more). Timing belt change means change belts & water pump too, along with all the seals in the front while you are there. Flush cooling system before t/b, change thermostat and pressure cap before longlife antifreeze refill. 2nd round? Tire balance and alignment if the rubber looks good, otherwise Tire Rack.com. If rear end rattles, renew the sway bar bushings first which will probably cure it cheaply.

The idea is to reset/set a baseline to do the regular maintenance from that point - it will be much less outlay after this con$iderable jump. Did you change plug wires with plug change? Were those plugs iridium? After 11 years/120k, they are at the end of their life, too. You have only 3 wires. The rear valve cover seal is probably leaking (common problem at this age, easy fix). Take off throttle body and clean IAC like you mentioned and anything else dirty while you are in the neighborhood. This is a good foundation ... good luck with your ES.

Thanks for the reply,

Yes the plugs i repalced with were platinum and I didn't expect that much would be needed so i guess i have to save for the timing belt/water pump/thermostat/antifreeze/belt change (any estimates on how much it would be?) but while doing the small items like filters myself.

I already replaced all 4 tires (that's the first thing i did when i got the car), changed the oil & filter a couple of times already. but have not noticed any noise from the negine that flagged anything wrong with the mechanical part of the car.

thanks for the help