Vehicle In For Rough Engine Cut In And Cut Out

dropped the vehicle off for service tonight 2006 rx400h so they can fix a few rattles but mainly to fix the rough engine cut on and cut off. When the engine turns off, it studders twice and finally turns off. I also hear a metallic rattle when the engine is running and i'm standing outside the car. Obviously someone else is driving while I'm outside. When the engine cuts in after being on electric, it is pretty rough too. I'm hoping they figure something out.

Yah let us know. I'd like to know what happens. My mom has a 2006 RX400h.

Well as of now they claim there is nothing wrong. My wife who never complains about anything with a car can hear the metallic noise coming from the front and the engine stuttering is definately not acceptable on startup and turnoff.

Does the dealership have any other 400hs on the lot? If so, ask to listen to them.

good point, I wll do that tomorrow. they have 400h loaners as well so I will check out how the engine is on those. Problem with the metallic noise is that you can't hear it easily standing outside becuase the engine turns off, so mostly you hear it in the morning when I start the car and the engine decides to kick in.

Does the dealership have any other 400hs on the lot? If so, ask to listen to them.

good point, I wll do that tomorrow. they have 400h loaners as well so I will check out how the engine is on those. Problem with the metallic noise is that you can't hear it easily standing outside becuase the engine turns off, so mostly you hear it in the morning when I start the car and the engine decides to kick in.

Have someone sit in the car with the shifter in Drive and give the accelator a press until the engine turns on. They can even contol the RPM to simulate it idle up when its cold.

Have someone sit in the car with the shifter in Drive and give the accelator a press until the engine turns on. They can even contol the RPM to simulate it idle up when its cold.

I'm assuming with the foot on the brake?

I'm assuming with the foot on the brake?

Did I forget to metion that part ;)

I was in my Mom's RX400h yesterday and when the engine comes on at a stop it comes on rough. I think rougher then when it was new. She has about 30k miles on the car. In my IS when I turn it on the car doesn't move @ all and found the shutter in the RX disturbing.

Yes, thats what mine does. I was told that it is normal by the tech. They tested my engine and it has nothing wrong with it. apparently, it depends on where it kicks on in the ignition cycle as to how much it will shutter or not. Same thing for kicking off. It does make sense though. Maybe someone will have better luck. Unlike the chevy dealer and other dealers, I do kinda believe them though. The tech told me he would love to fix something, they don't get paid if they don't have something to fix and they are the biggest lexus dealer in the world.

I was in my Mom's RX400h yesterday and when the engine comes on at a stop it comes on rough. I think rougher then when it was new. She has about 30k miles on the car. In my IS when I turn it on the car doesn't move @ all and found the shutter in the RX disturbing.

Then again, your mom's RX is probably faster than your car........ :chairshot:

Seriously, there will always be features of other cars, even in the same family, that are preferable. My Corvette seats are light-years more comfortable than the RX's seats, but the 3200 lb Corvette averages only 20 MPG vs. the 4600 lb RX's 25 MPG.

My 99 corvette Vert was getting 24MPG so its pretty comparable. I can't get over around 24MPG with the 400H but my wife consistantly gets 2MPG better than me and I drive the thing like a Granny and I used to drive the Vette much less granny like. :D

Then again, your mom's RX is probably faster than your car........:chairshot:

Seriously, there will always be features of other cars, even in the same family, that are preferable. My Corvette seats are light-years more comfortable than the RX's seats, but the 3200 lb Corvette averages only 20 MPG vs. the 4600 lb RX's 25 MPG.

My 99 corvette Vert was getting 24MPG so its pretty comparable. I can't get over around 24MPG with the 400H but my wife consistantly gets 2MPG better than me and I drive the thing like a Granny and I used to drive the Vette much less granny like. :D

The C5 Corvette is capable of getting 30 MPG on the highway, but virtually impossible to get anything over 18 in city driving. I typically drive it "aggressively" early in the morning when there is very little traffic, and yet still average 20 MPG. This gas mileage is what seperates the Corvette from other sportscars, like Porsches and Vipers, whose owners achieve much lower mileage numbers.

You should remember, however, that the RX400h weighs 44% more than the Corvette. A GM SUV with Corvette engine would achieve far less gas mileage than the RX400h does.

s

Then again, your mom's RX is probably faster than your car........:chairshot:

Well at least there is some response on this issue. I find it slightly unsettling when the engine comes on and off sometimes.

Of course her RX400h is faster...it has tons of tourque compared to my IS250. But I like the ride and drive of my car over hers any day.

My RX 400H is model 04/06 production and I must say it is very, very subtle the transition from a dead stop. I am the only one to notice, since I can feel it in the accelerator. Also, given that it is extremely cold the transition occurs almost instantaneously from a dead stop to about 1-3 mph before the engine kicks in again. I hope, come warm weather, the transition will be just as smooth.

Cheers,

MadloR