Turn Signals

DanW

On my way to work this morning, my turn signals decided to stop working. The Hazards and Brake lights work fine. Moving the turn signal level up or down does basically nothing. Are the turn signals on their own fuse?

On my way to work this morning, my turn signals decided to stop working. The Hazards and Brake lights work fine. Moving the turn signal level up or down does basically nothing. Are the turn signals on their own fuse?

Nevermind...the answer is yes.

So I looked at the fuses, and the one I needed to check is gone(???) Instead I found a bent piece of wire half hanging out of it! An improvised fuse...well that's just great. So I pulled what I thought was an 'extra' fuse and replaced it and now the turn signals work but the car won't start....whoops...that wasn't extra...it was the starter. So I pulled the radio’s fuse (same ohms) and put it where the turn signal goes.

I guess I should check the fuses under the hood for more 'improvised' fuses.

I understand temporary fixes but fuses cost nothing and really protect a cars electronics. Sad to see people neglect their cars. You know there are a couple extra fuses on the fuse cover in the engine compartment right? Maybe they were used up.

I'm glad you found the problem!!

• 5 months later...
I understand temporary fixes but fuses cost nothing and really protect a cars electronics. Sad to see people neglect their cars. You know there are a couple extra fuses on the fuse cover in the engine compartment right? Maybe they were used up.

I'm back to this problem again... I was driving today and noticed my turn signal didn't work while turning a corner. The next corner it worked, and then the next turn it made a strange sound and quit. Hasn't worked since. Does not blink, click, anything.

Checked the fuse, its fine. Wipers, hazards, everything else on the steering column works fine. Any ideas?

I'm back to this problem again... I was driving today and noticed my turn signal didn't work while turning a corner. The next corner it worked, and then the next turn it made a strange sound and quit. Hasn't worked since. Does not blink, click, anything.

Checked the fuse, its fine. Wipers, hazards, everything else on the steering column works fine. Any ideas?

It was the turn signal flasher....apparently burnt out. Not expensive but rather time consuming to get to the old one out. It's 'on top' of the fuse box by the drivers left foot. Basically you have to take it out and turn it over. To do this you need to removed most of the lower dash, a heater duct, a couple bolts toward the back of the circuit box and a bracket way in the front by the floorboard. You'll also have to unscrew a screw that holds this giant plug onto the bottom of the circuit box.

It was the turn signal flasher....apparently burnt out. Not expensive but rather time consuming to get to the old one out. It's 'on top' of the fuse box by the drivers left foot. Basically you have to take it out and turn it over. To do this you need to removed most of the lower dash, a heater duct, a couple bolts toward the back of the circuit box and a bracket way in the front by the floorboard. You'll also have to unscrew a screw that holds this giant plug onto the bottom of the circuit box.

I bet you're pleased that you didn't get Lexus to do it for you!

I bet you're pleased that you didn't get Lexus to do it for you!

Quite so...I realize the limits of my mechanical ability and will take it in if I have to, but moreso and at the same time I hate when other people touch my car!

• 1 month later...

I keep having to revive this thread because turn signals are the only problem I'm having with this car on a regular basis. Again my turn signals started not coming on all the time. So I thought the new flasher I just put in was failing again. This morning I replaced it and still nothing.

I finally realized that if you put some pressure on the fuse itself (sideways) it works fine, otherwise it doesn't seem to close the circuit. Swapped it out with other 7.5 fuses and same thing. So I put a folded up piece of paper in there to apply some sideways pressure, everything works fine.

So there is something odd about the fuse plug itself. Please note from the beginning of this thread that that particular fuse was a bent piece of wire for an unknown amount of time. This is probably didn't help matters.

Anyway, since I'm the turn signal expert now....if your turn signals stop working:

1) check the fuse

2) wiggle the fuse gently back and forth

if that doesn't help.....

3) see if there is voltage from the fuse plug to a ground the the turn signal lever is up or down

4) if yes, the switch on the steering column is fine. if no, the switch is probably bad....double/triple check this measurement

5) if the switch is fine and fuse is fine, its probably the flasher burnt out.

The fuse is a fuse and the flasher is about 10 bucks, so be 100% certain whether or not the switch on the steering column works, as it is like 200+ bucks.