2003 Ls430 Steering Wheel Controls ?

LSLady

Just purchased a '03 LS430 and the 3 buttons on the left side of the steering wheel where the manual shows volume controls etc, on mine the buttons are marked 1, 2, and 3. When pressed a beep sound is heard but cannot determine what the control do. There is also a phone cradle in the center console with no phone. Is this related to those buttons?

Just purchased a '03 LS430 and the 3 buttons on the left side of the steering wheel where the manual shows volume controls etc, on mine the buttons are marked 1, 2, and 3. When pressed a beep sound is heard but cannot determine what the control do. There is also a phone cradle in the center console with no phone. Is this related to those buttons?

Yes, the steering wheel buttons are used to control the phone - if a phone system is installed. If no phone system is installed, the buttons control the audio system.

Here is a link to a 2003 press release about the Lexus Integrated Phone System: http://press.nokia.com/PR/200304/898389_5.html

The phone system uses a Nokia 6310i phone which looks identical to the 6340i phone you can see in the phone cradle in my avatar. My understanding is that the 6310i is the only phone that works with the 2003 model year Lexus phone system.

Here is a link to information about the 6310i phone: http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6310i

Does the cradle in your LS look like it would hold a 6310i?

While it does not take photos or have a color screen and cute ring tones, the 6310i phone is a wonderful phone and is widely available on the used market. You can likely find new ones too. Since it is a tri-mode GSM phone, it should be useful after analog and TDMA service is withdrawn. Also, the 6310i can seemlessly interface to a personal computer or PDA via infrared and Bluetooth -- allows one to edit the phones address book and to back it up, download ringtones, etc. The 6310i can sync up to Outlook and Lotus Notes too.

There is a separate user manual for your phone system. I would assume that a dealer could get one for you and could also tell you about removing the phone system -- if you don't want to use it --and reactivating the steering wheel audio controls.

Thanks so much for the information. I will try and find the NOKIA 6310i and put with the car.

Jim is correct; the other possibility (if it was the phone system that came with the 01-02) would be a Denso (Sprint) touchpoint 2200 (Yuck). The Nokia however is a GSM phone and as Jim said they are plentiful on the used market; just make sure to get one that is unlocked or was used on your provider. They were (are) great phones.

If you have the dealer remove the phone they will change the 1,2,3 buttons back to the volume +/- and "set" buttons that came with the car. You can also do this without changing the key caps..there is a sequence that changes the programming of the Nav ECU to change the purpose of those 3 buttons.

Let us know if the stock 6310i phone works....I'm curious as to whether or not they use OEM firmware or not.

After checking around, I think you are right, it is the Touchpoint 2200 phone that is missing. Talked with dealer and they want $250 to remove and reconfigure the buttons on the wheel. Does anyone know how to make the program change to configure the buttons to control the volume? Also the key caps on the buttons have the volume lettering on the back.

• 3 weeks later...

After checking around, I think you are right, it is the Touchpoint 2200 phone that is missing. Talked with dealer and they want $250 to remove and reconfigure the buttons on the wheel. Does anyone know how to make the program change to configure the buttons to control the volume? Also the key caps on the buttons have the volume lettering on the back.

You will have to use a very small screwdriver or maybe a paperclip to pry the clips out; there are two on the driver facing side and one behind.

Then try this:

Switch Mode Selection Procedures

(1) Insert the key in the ignition switch and

turn it from OFF to ACC. Within 30

seconds thereafter, perform steps (2)

and (3) that follow.

(2) Switch ON the audio MODE switch (press it) and

successively hold it down for more than

10 seconds.

(3) Perform the following steps within 5 seconds.

1) Press the channel switch twice or more.

2) Press the channel switch twice or more.

The Mode switch is the one on the steering wheel, and the channel switches are the up/down switches above and below it. let us know if it works, the correct order for the 3 buttons is Vol+, Vol-, and Set.

• 11 months later...
You will have to use a very small screwdriver or maybe a paperclip to pry the clips out; there are two on the driver facing side and one behind.

Then try this:

Switch Mode Selection Procedures

(1) Insert the key in the ignition switch and

turn it from OFF to ACC. Within 30

seconds thereafter, perform steps (2)

and (3) that follow.

(2) Switch ON the audio MODE switch (press it) and

successively hold it down for more than

10 seconds.

(3) Perform the following steps within 5 seconds.

1) Press the channel switch twice or more.

2) Press the channel switch twice or more.

The Mode switch is the one on the steering wheel, and the channel switches are the up/down switches above and below it. let us know if it works, the correct order for the 3 buttons is Vol+, Vol-, and Set.

I tried this several times with no success. :cries:

On the instructions above:

- Should the radio be off or on when the keys are put in?

- Should you hold down the MODE switch while pressing the channel buttons or let go prior?

- Do you press the up channel first or the down channel?

Has anyone had success doing this?