Transmission Fluid/filter Change...

mckellyb

What surprises await me? This is an '02 AWD, and in the past 200 miles, or so, I've noticed the *slightest* hesitation going into gear. It feels like it goes into gear, this is only when the engine is cold, but a tenth of a second later, you feel it actually go into gear. It's the slightest delay, but it cannot be good.

I have my 5 qts., I need only 4.1, I know, but I can see the three ounces not being in there causing a problem. At least Toyota put in a drain plug. Nice to know I'm not going to get a trans oil hair rinse by having to drain it by removing the entire pan. I HATE that.

I purchased a new filter, too, as I'm being very cautious. I think ours just went out of warranty, timewise, so I am taking NO chances. I don't want to know what a replacement trans costs, honestly.

It has only 46K miles on it, but the past year or so, it's been in Vegas, so heat is an issue, potentially. I know the AWD's have a trans cooler, but even on the car the RX replaced, a '95 Intrepid ES 3.5L, I put in a larger cooler. Probably 50% larger. That car is on transmission #1, and it has 120K on it. By now, most of those cars are on transmission 2 or 3.

Thanks!

Edit: I just checked the manual, duh, and the powertrain warranty is for 7 years/72K miles, so I guess it goes to the dealer next week. I'm returning the super-expensive filter and fluid while I'm at it (BTW the Toyota dealer was $3 less expensive on the fluid than the Lexus dealer, and they use the same bottle, labeling and everything), and I hope they either remedy the problem, or figure out what's wrong. I know it's not cold, as it started before it became chilly here in Vegas. Regardless, if someone has an idea as to what this might be, I'm all ears, as I'm an automotive information junkie.

there is an external cooler on the awd, but it is located in the fender well under covers with very poor ventilation. The Air intake is blocked by the windshield washer bottle. Your car with 15k changes will hopefully help. good luck

there is an external cooler on the awd, but it is located in the fender well under covers with very poor ventilation. The Air intake is blocked by the windshield washer bottle. Your car with 15k changes will hopefully help. good luck

So I've learned. I see a flat, waterproof cooling fan going in there, of the appropriate size, of course. With transmissions, cool is good.

When you do this, post photos and descriptions for those of us who will follow in your footsteps.

Thanks,

Gary

05 330 AWD

Will do. I think the difficult part will be finding the correctly sized fan which still blows a decent amount of air. Oh, and it likely will not be a breeze, pun intended, to figure out which direction the air flows, normally. You'd assume front-to-back, but y'never know....