Silverstar Comparo

OmarG

Ok so the other day i noticed a headlight blew on the 94 jade. I'd been contemplating silverstars for a while now. I decided to take advantage of the situation and have a comparo for you guys. The 94 already had some sylvania xtravision bulbs which are great btw.

My 93 (white) has always seemed dim so i decided to do a side by side comparo with xtravision vs silverstar vs oem.

Xtravisions are almost as good as silverstars but oems suck.

comp1.jpg

comp2.jpg

comp3.jpg

comp4.jpg

comp5.jpg

if the silverstars last i would recommend them but xtravisions are almost as good and much cheaper. I wonder how GE night hawks hold up?? I think i'll buy a pair and do a fairer comparo between silverstars and nighthawks.

I've gotta replace those awful oems.

Hope this helps anyone who has been thinking about new bulbs.

Awesome comparison OmarG,

I've always wondered what the difference was between the Xrtavision and the silverstars.

When I got my new LS recently, I couldnt bring myself to buy the Silverstars agin, mainly because of the price. My last pair lasted well, about 2 years, but what it came down to for me is that i would be paying double the price of the xtravisions for the same light with a whiter beam.

This being winter and all, whiter light isnt even that advantagous (could even be disadvantagous) so i though fudge it and went with the xtravisions.

I wanted to do a comparison too but probably like everyone else on here, I was just too lazy to do it!

Good post, OmarG!

I don't know if a 1997 LS400 is the same as yours, but please tell us how you access the bulbs to make the change. Is it from the back, and what has to be removed in order to get to the bulb? I notice some clips on the front glass of the headlights. Could this be access point?

Thanks for any info.

Pete

• 9 months later...

OmarG,

Great comparison. I just installed Silverstar on my 91 LS400.

My question is what did you use for the Park/Corner Light that looks great? Mine is the OEM bulb that does not look as bright and really out-of-place with the Silverstar.

Thanks for any suggestion.

hey mike, I'm glad my comparo helped. All i did was put a larger 194 size bulb in the side marker light. Its much brighter and gives decent cornering illumination. Fits perfect with no mods! its not silverstar white but looks pretty good to my eyes. 194 really looks so much better than the smaller 168 bulbs.