Squeek Problem

nhwang

I'm new to the forums, and they've already helped me out!

My mom owns a 1992 LS400 and we just changed the front brake pads without much of problem ^_^

However, we've had a squeek that sounds whenever we brake still! It's been happening even before the we changed the brake pads and still do now. It only happens at about a medium pressure on the brakes.

Any ideas on what could be making them squeek?

Also, if you didn't machine the rotors it is going to take many brake applications before the pads conform to the rotor surfaces for full contact which may result in squeek.

Additional possibilities:

Failure to keep pad surface clean during installation.

Failure to keep rotor surface clean during installation.

Failure to thoroughly clean rotors of all machining residue (if machined).

Worn or missing inner anti-squeal shim(s).

Worn or missing (outer)anti-squeal shim(s).

Worn or missing anti-squeal spring(s).

Worn or missing pad support plate(s).

Worn or sticking caliper sliding pin(s).

Worn or sticking caliper sliding bushing(s).

Improperly tightened caliper bolts.

Poor quality brake pad materials.

I had this problem with my drivers front brake. I replaced the rotors with Mountains, then I replaced the pads with ceramics, which clunked around in the slots, so I replaced those with oem pads and new shim kits / anti squel kits. I had a horrible screaming sound when going slow, in reverse. I pulled the pads out and regreased a couple of times, cleaned the slider pins, sprayed that disc squeel stuff, scuffed the pads on the driveway, etc......nothing worked for more than a day or two. Then I had the rotor turned at the local Mieneke shop....No more noise. That was a few weeks ago, and I have not had a single noise from the front brakes since.

get the rotor turned "cut". Costs like $40 bucks.

Wow... lot's of suggestions... I'll let my dad know and see what he wants to do.

I do know that he used some type of aresol rotor/caliper cleaner to get them all fairly clean. I've also been looking around online it I have seen some reports about this car and it mentioned that one of the problems with it was groan or squeek in the front, which is what I think the problem is from.

Thanks very much for all the suggestions! I'll let you know which we used ^_^