1995 Gs Staring Problems

I have a 1995 gs and all of a sudden one day the car no longer starts, i have replaced fuel pump,full tune up new battery. i smell fuel, car turns over fine but just wont start. Battery connections are good and all fuses are fine. i noticed a little bit of oil on the spark plugs but i cleaned that also. Any suggestions would be greatly aprreciated. the vehicle was running perfectly fine, this car is a high mileage vehicle.

Thanks

I have a 1995 gs and all of a sudden one day the car no longer starts, i have replaced fuel pump,full tune up new battery. i smell fuel, car turns over fine but just wont start. Battery connections are good and all fuses are fine. i noticed a little bit of oil on the spark plugs but i cleaned that also. Any suggestions would be greatly aprreciated. the vehicle was running perfectly fine, this car is a high mileage vehicle.

Thanks

At least you have eliminated fuel from the question. Well from there you need to see if you have spark and compression. First I would check to see if your getting any spark from the plugs and then I would move onto compression. Are you sure thats oil on the plugs or unburned fuel? Hopefully its not oil. Did you pull all the plugs and if so is this oil on all the plugs or just a couple?

If you can smell fuel I doubt whether the smell is cause the engine is flooding as it is injection unburnt fuel shouldnt come out of the pipework, only out of the exhaust and thats miles away from the smell zone

first check the fuel pipes that go onto the fuel rail

Then get a torch and look below the manifold at the injector seals, its a bit akward to see but if an "O" ring is split then the fuel comes out over the inlet manifold and you will see it wet, unfortunately to change a 4p O ring is a day job and you have to take off all the inlet manifolds and pipes to get to it, the job is actually easy unbolting and bolting back up, but time consuming, and dont forget to tippex mark all the vacuum hoses for reassembly

to see leaks easily get a mate to turn the engine over while you look, as a minute bit of petrol stinks like hell but can be hard to see, if in doubt cover the joints in talcum powder and look for damp

To check all is sparking well, the easiest is to remove the rear plug cover and pull number 5 plug and turn the engine, look for the spark, the leads on the older cars such as yours and mine are prone to tracking when damp so cover them in the trusty WD40 this time of year

Now I had a similar starting fault, for no reason the engine turns over and wont start, and it boiled down to me touching the accelerator before it fired up which confuses the ecu

Don't ever touch the pedal when starting from cold until it fires, if it doesnt start then leave it alone for a while and let the steering wheel move fully and watch the abs light go out, then try it, if it is flooded you may even need to leave it for a few hours, as it is a !Removed! to get rid off as apparently when cold if it doesnt fire the ecu thinks it needs even more fuel and throws the damn stuff in by the bucket load

Also charge the battery up to max, the ecu is very voltage sensitive, and although a battery may have enough to turn the engine, voltage drop can stop bits of the control system working, on my GS again i had the same, as it was turning over easy enough i didnt suspect the battery, which in the end went flat, a jump start from my freinds battery on full power and it started dead easy, a new battery and no more problems

Good luck