Handsfree Car Kit

• 1 year later...

Consider including the year of your GS300 in the "car model" year of your profile to help others respond appropriately. If your GS was one of the years in which the "Portable Plus" phone was available, it likely has a male six pin connector for it under the center console - it was under the back of the console on my 2000 LS.

On my 2000 LS, the front center pin of this connector is the mute pin. All I had to do was to plunge the mute wire (after stripping about 1/4 inch of insulation from the tip) from my Nokia kit into this connector and secure it with a plastic wire tire. Note: On my car there is also a female connector under the console for the Lexus fixed phone - this connector did not have a mute point since the mute point for the fixed phone is in the trunk - at least for my LS400.

An easy way to identify/verify the correct pin is to use a cheap grounded test light. Turn the radio on and probe the pins until the radio mutes - this is a standard way of locating the mute point according to European phone tech web sites.

On my car (with Nakamichi) there were at least three places I could have picked up a mute point but for my installation the easiest was the connector under the console.

The electrical diagram for my car identifies the color of the mute wire and I assume that the electrical diagram for the GS would do the same.

I missed a lot of calls before I hooked up my phone kit's mute wire. Following is a link to a doc containing a photo of the male connector I mentioned above. You might do a search on clublexus.com - I saw several photos of hooking up a mute wire on a GS in the right front kick panel although it looked more difficult than the method I used.

http://home.kc.rr.com/colchester/phone/Nok...H%20install.doc

One good website almost entirely dedicated to the installation of phone kits is http://www.siocommunications.co.uk/ in Scotland. Unfortunately the "public" forum on the site is fairly sparse compared to the "installer" forum which Terry apparently took private last year.