Diesel-like Engine Sound?

YouDontKnowJack

When you stick the car in park mode, the engine emits a diesel-like noise, like those old benzes from the 80's: clack-clack-clack-clack-clack-clack-clack-clack-clack-clack-clack-clack-clack-clack

i can hear it when i'm just starting to accelerate too, until the engine growl drowns out the clackclack at around 40mph.

is this engine noise normal?

it's not as loud as the old benzes, but it's still noticeable, and it transmits to the cabin when the radio is off. When i want a silent car, i don't want anything but growl to transmit to the cabin. not the clackclack.

edit: video link http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6554519013712569288

i don't know if i'm just being picky and paranoid. Even my old 98 camry v6 isn't as loud as this.

here's a short video of the sound i hear. This was recorded while parked, but i do hear it when accelerating ~0-40mph and when stopped at a traffic light

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6554519013712569288

click.

sounds like an old benz huh?

I have not experienced this in the ES350s I've driven (only a couple) but I do know from reading the issues of ES350 owners that this is a common 350 issue. At present I don't believe Lexus has a fix, the running hypothesis is that it comes from the direct injection system in the engine. Direct injection is inherantly a louder technology than the electronic fuel injection system used on older Lexus vehicles like your and my 03s.

I don't know why for some people they hear it and for some they don't, what was the build date of your 350?

I have not experienced this in the ES350s I've driven (only a couple) but I do know from reading the issues of ES350 owners that this is a common 350 issue. At present I don't believe Lexus has a fix, the running hypothesis is that it comes from the direct injection system in the engine. Direct injection is inherantly a louder technology than the electronic fuel injection system used on older Lexus vehicles like your and my 03s.

I don't know why for some people they hear it and for some they don't, what was the build date of your 350?

Hell, if my engine sounded like that I'd definitely bring it back to the dealer!!! Thankfully, mine is extremely quiet, whether cold or hot......and the build date is 3/06.

bought it in september. so i'm assuming the build date was around end of august or early september. the car was still wrapped in plastic at the dealership. looked like it just came off the boat.

does it sound like the noise is from the pistons?

or is that clattering from a belt or something spinning?

That sounds to me like the injectors, or like its coming from the pistons.

Take it to the dealer and see what they say.

What kind of fuel and oil are you running? I'd make sure you're running premium fuel (regardless of what people say I really think you should run premium in these cars, I mean its a $40,000 car and the manufacturer says use premium) and I might try switching to a synthetic oil at the next change and see what that does...

Impossible to be the injectors. The ES uses the 2gr-fe which has different heads / etc and no direct injection. It's also about 50lbs lighter becuase of that.

I still think it's the valvetrain. Like, the roller rocker setup they're using now. Cause that's the only real fundimental change & you know they didn't just make like a million of these engines only to have that many of them have incorrectly adjusted valves from the factory lol!

Eventually someone is just going to ahve to buy a $2-3 mechanics stethescope & figure it out.

Impossible to be the injectors. The ES uses the 2gr-fe which has different heads / etc and no direct injection.

Interesting, I looked around and you're right. The general consensus though is that the noise is coming from the direct injectors...which don't exist.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

• 3 months later...

Impossible to be the injectors. The ES uses the 2gr-fe which has different heads / etc and no direct injection.

Interesting, I looked around and you're right. The general consensus though is that the noise is coming from the direct injectors...which don't exist.

-------------------

I asked my Lexus dealer about this and they told me that this is because Lexus has changed the timing belt. The older lexus cars used timing belts that you had to change but the newer ones use a different material - more lasting but noiser...

I have no idea but it seems to make sense...

-------------------

I asked my Lexus dealer about this and they told me that this is because Lexus has changed the timing belt. The older lexus cars used timing belts that you had to change but the newer ones use a different material - more lasting but noiser...

I have no idea but it seems to make sense...

What your dealer is referring to is the engine in your car has a timing chain instead of a timing belt. Ask to listen to another ES to see if it sounds the same to you. Search other internet bulletin boards including Toyota boards for more info. You aren't the only one complaing of this.

Steve,

where does one find the 'build date' ?

• 1 month later...
When you stick the car in park mode, the engine emits a diesel-like noise, like those old benzes from the 80's: clack-clack-clack-clack-clack-clack-clack-clack-clack-clack-clack-clack-clack-clack

i can hear it when i'm just starting to accelerate too, until the engine growl drowns out the clackclack at around 40mph.

is this engine noise normal?

it's not as loud as the old benzes, but it's still noticeable, and it transmits to the cabin when the radio is off. When i want a silent car, i don't want anything but growl to transmit to the cabin. not the clackclack.

edit: video link http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6554519013712569288

Mine did that too but not to that extent, until I changed from mineral oil to synthetic Mobil 1 ( Going to Royal Purple next) Noise went away! Motor hums like a baby! Try the Synthetics I bet that solves the problem and fast!