Engine Diagnostic

Aikibro

So I just purchased my 97 ES about 18 months ago and haven't serviced it since (*pause for group beating*)....this after not knowing the full specs on what was cared for from what wasn't under the prior owner.

Broke student that I am, I finally have a little money to care for my car and considering taking it to the dealership for a full (Certified Pre-Owned) run thru, but they're asking $230. Would I be better off just checking the service schedule and doing everythig recommended there or should I go pay the ransom at the dealership...like, would there be other issues likely to come up that won't be covered under the service schedule?

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

So I just purchased my 97 ES about 18 months ago and haven't serviced it since (*pause for group beating*)....this after not knowing the full specs on what was cared for from what wasn't under the prior owner.

Broke student that I am, I finally have a little money to care for my car and considering taking it to the dealership for a full (Certified Pre-Owned) run thru, but they're asking $230. Would I be better off just checking the service schedule and doing everythig recommended there or should I go pay the ransom at the dealership...like, would there be other issues likely to come up that won't be covered under the service schedule?

Thanks.

Update...

So I ended up getting close to $300 worth of service done at the dealership...

170K mi check up

Gasket...$1.00

Oil Filter...$9.99

5 Qts, 5W-30...$2.15

for a total of $21.74 in parts...and get this

$133.21 in labor!! Ridiculous.

Also paid $25 to have them replace my fog lights (2@ $28.49)...which was kinda dumb, I probably could hav done that myself with some help and more research...and probably would have gotten spiffier bulbs at that.

Got a $400 estimate parts and labor to correct the Bank 1 Sensor ! Air/Fuel Sensor replaced...but I just might have that done elsewhere.

Need a Master Lock switch at the driver's door...$500 bucks parts and labor...I'll deal with the inconvenience for now.

Major service at 180K...estimate of $1100 with timing belt (replacement?)...we'll see if I get it done there or at some third party shop.