95 Es300 200k Miles,

daovang

I was driving up I85 from Concord, NC...35 miles later... As I got within a half mile of my exit I felt my transmission downshift to third gear (I think). To counteract to the lost of speed I increased throttle and notice a slight increase in RPM, but a second later my RPM was at 0 and engine dead.

Does anybody know what could of happened?

My engine had a slight burnt plastic smell, no popping noise from engine were audible, nor was there any visible oil/coolant leakage. It was dark and I couldn't do a full check but will return tomorrow to check fully.

Thanks in advance for the diagnoses.

~daovang

Also, three days ago my coolant mysteriously leaked massively. My brother refilled it and told me it had stopped. The source of leakage is still unknown. And today it died.

Yeah, that's my biggest fear, too.... and it's happened to me in other vehicles.

I'm no mechanic either, but what it sounds like is something let go and caused an electrical short. The transmission is controled by the ECU on the 95 (as far as I know), so if something went weird with the ECU, it might have triggered your tranny to kick down a gear... and then the ECU might have gone kaputz right after and shut the engine down.

If you had a mysterious coolant leak, you may have sprayed coolant onto an electrical part causing it to short out and shut everything down. Let us know what you find... I hope it's not too $$$

Yeah, that's my biggest fear, too.... and it's happened to me in other vehicles.

I'm no mechanic either, but what it sounds like is something let go and caused an electrical short. The transmission is controled by the ECU on the 95 (as far as I know), so if something went weird with the ECU, it might have triggered your tranny to kick down a gear... and then the ECU might have gone kaputz right after and shut the engine down.

If you had a mysterious coolant leak, you may have sprayed coolant onto an electrical part causing it to short out and shut everything down. Let us know what you find... I hope it's not too $$$

What happens when you turn the key?

I have had this experience before in an es 250. First it was a sensor in or near the distributor. Plastic case just gave way. My car would crank but would not start. Second time it was the wire from the distributor to the coil (located right next the battery) that corroded and came apart.