Thinking About A Leftover '06 Rx 400h Now ...

Please give me your opinion ...

I have been considering a 2007 RX 400h for some time now. I haven't received as good of a deal as I'd hoped. Dealers had been saying to look into an '06, but I did not want the older Gen navigation system.

It has NOW been brought to my attention that there are some leftover 06s out there w/o navigation. Navigation is not a must to me, so this is intriguing.

What else would I be missing out on in the '06 vs the '07? I'm thinking not a whole lot except it would be one model year older (better deal to be had as well).

Can anyone else give me some pros & cons or their opinions?

I bought a 06 a couple of weeks ago. One difference is that the front passenger does not have lumbar support control on the 06. Mine also does not have the Navigation system--I really wasn't interested in the Nav system. I already have a portable Garmin c330 that works great and can be bought for about $399. The only other thing is that the 07 can be ordered from the factory with XM radio.

I got $3000 off list on mine (Flint Pica with black interior--which I love) and I got exactly what I wanted on my trade. So it worked out well.

Rob

We just bought a used 06. Ours is fully loaded. From what I understand, the 07 can be had with radar cruise control(would be a must have for me), bigger screen on the rear entertainment system(whoopie), tire pressure monitors(cool but not something I can't live without) and better nav/bluetooth system. I also believe the 07 will play mp3's. Other than that I believe their are no other major changes.

Basically I think I could get an '06 w/o Navigation for $42,000

VERSUS

Getting the '07 for $47,300 w/Navigation ... $44,700 ordered w/o Navigation.

I would have to wait 3-4 months for the '07 though (ordering w/o wood trim) ... not a big deal, but I would kind of appreciate having the hybrid badge on the side of the '07. I don't REALLY care if I have the Navigation or not though.

The value of my '06 would be lower than the '07 right after driving off the lot as well since it's a year older.

Basically I think I could get an '06 w/o Navigation for $42,000

VERSUS

Getting the '07 for $47,300 w/Navigation ... $44,700 ordered w/o Navigation.

I would have to wait 3-4 months for the '07 though (ordering w/o wood trim) ... not a big deal, but I would kind of appreciate having the hybrid badge on the side of the '07. I don't REALLY care if I have the Navigation or not though.

The value of my '06 would be lower than the '07 right after driving off the lot as well since it's a year older.

Well yes and no, 06 is lower but you are paying a lower price for it and its already taking a decent hit on depreciation. No nav equals no blue tooth. Personally, I would not want to live without that, after driving the lexus loaners without nav, nav is a must have. It routes me around traffic, it gives us bluetooth which is very useful, not to mention, you get the cool energy graph which you don't get without navigation. Plus, at resale time, its easier to sell the car with all the options.

When I got my 2006, everything was standard except the upgraded sound system, which I didn't want and the rear entertainment system, which I didn't want.

I think you will want the display unit. It is more than just a navigation system. It has the energy monitor and consumption screens which really help you understand what the hybrid is doing and helps you maximize your mileage. It also has the Bluetooth, which I agree with Robl45, is great. You can be traveling down the road talking to someone with both handles on the wheel and nothing attached to your ear. Another benefit, or not depending upon the call, is that everyone in the vehicle can hear what is being said and can be in the conversation. So my wife and I can both talk to our daughter at the same time. The display unit also has touch screen controls for your climate control, time setting, maintenance history, and other functions I haven't used yet. It also has the rear view camera which is really helpful when you are backing into a parking space.

That being said, the generation 5 display on the 2007 model has some important improvements over the generation 4 on the 2006 model.

In terms of deprecation, the key is how long you plan on owning the vehicle. If you plan to keep it a long time, which is what I plan to do, mileage becomes a bigger factor than model year at some point in determining price. I got the extended warranty, so I have everything covered for 100,000 miles. I plan on keeping it for most or all of that period of time.

As far as depreciation ... when looking at trade in for my 2005 RX 330 I looked up one as if it were a 2004 as well and the difference was $600.

I do think I would miss having the Navigation in the long run ... sadly I'd miss the little hybrid badge on the side too. I really have little to NO need for the Navigation, but I think it'd be fun ... plus I would probably get a bluetooth phone and monkey with all of that as well.

I do want to note though that even if you DON'T get Navigation in a 400h it comes with the screen with the energy monitor and power diagram where the navigation is ... nothing more though.

blue tooth is worth it just for the safety, plus you actually know when someone is calling. I navigate pretty much everywhere, not because I don't know how to get there but because if there is traffic, an idiotic detour where they forget to put up the signs, etc, the nav will reroute me and make sure I get to where I want to go. Worked great when there was an accident on the freeway the other day, I jumped off and the nav showed me where to go.