1994 Lexus Es300 Shifting Into Reverse

mr ivory

I have a 1994 Lexus ES300 with 175K miles. Sometimes when I shift the vehicle into reverse, the vehicle makes a hard clunk sound. It happens when I am going from park to reverse and also from a drive gear to reverse. No matter if I am parked on a hill or on a level road. When the car is being driven it shifts just find through its gears. The transmission is not loosing or burning in fluid. Can someone please give me possible solutions to this problem, how much will it cost and also where can I take it without being ripped off? I live close to Denton, Texas.

Hello,

speaking from previous experience with RWD vehicles, ths was an indication that the U-joints were going. Now for FWD this is unlikely since the Ujoints would make a loud noise when turning. does it make a loud noise while turning?

hope it helps.

chargerucd

I have a 1994 Lexus ES300 with 175K miles. Sometimes when I shift the vehicle into reverse, the vehicle makes a hard clunk sound. It happens when I am going from park to reverse and also from a drive gear to reverse. No matter if I am parked on a hill or on a level road. When the car is being driven it shifts just find through its gears. The transmission is not loosing or burning in fluid. Can someone please give me possible solutions to this problem, how much will it cost and also where can I take it without being ripped off? I live close to Denton, Texas.

It does not make any other noises whatsoever. The car is very sound and I had the transmission fluid drained, replaced and flushed 10K miles ago. There is no rust no where on the car either.

Hello,

speaking from previous experience with RWD vehicles, ths was an indication that the U-joints were going. Now for FWD this is unlikely since the Ujoints would make a loud noise when turning. does it make a loud noise while turning?

hope it helps.

chargerucd

Change the transmissino fluid anyways because it's good for you.

The problem is the dogbone mount has worn out. Probably the rest of the engine mounts too, but that's the one that keeps the torque rocking to a minimum.

I agree with Toysmre. I had the same problem with the engine mounts and for a while thought it waqs the AT. My mechanic showed them to me after he repolaced them and they looked F-ed up for lack of a better word. I checked my AT fluids and it was perfect. Again, have the engine mounts checked.