Shocks Installed

Just some shocking feedback, I have a 1998 sc300 use it as my daily drive and enjoy the somewhat sporty ride it offers. I was not looking to get into coil overs with their adjustability and ride lowering capability and $$$. I just wanted to replace the original shocks that had gone south witha shock of their equal or some what stiffer ride.

I found out through prior posts and through checking the internet that their were three choices monroe, kyb, and tokico. I did not persue monroe since there were no comments that were positive (actually only one comment was found and it was negative). I guess no one uses monroe on Lexus. Someone mentioned that the Tokico blues were set at about the equalivelent to the three adjustment of their coil overs strut another comment by a poster mentioned that you would not want to ride for long distances on the three or above setting and stated that even the one setting on the tokico coilover was still somewhat stiffer then the factory installed shock.

On another website three or four folks mentioned that the kyb were poor quality still others panned the tokico as to harsh.

\

I decided to persue the kyb since I came to understand they provided the original equipment for the SC. Their website located some installers I asked them what they charged per kyb uninstalled they refered me to their distributor. He said that he would charge my garage $147 a shock. forgetaboutit I surfed the net and found many mail order places mostly on the west coast Calf. Washington. who would sell me the shocks for about $65.00 each and free shipping. I had used the tirerack in the past their price was $70 per shock and $50.00 per for the strut mounts. plus $21 for shipping. I payed a bit more and went with the tirerack because of my prior past positive purchases. I had the shocks and mounts the next day! UPS as they were shipped from their Delaware location to my PA. address. Oh the tirerack tech I spoke to said the KYB GR2 were about 10% stiffer then the original equipment.

I took my first ride with the KYB and what a diffence they made just about what I was looking for nice confortable ride with a little butt shake from the road and real nice cornering for the buck! Now only time will tell if they hold up.KYB gurantees their shocks for the time you own your car.

one last comment I could not find any web site that did any type of comparison, evaluation or review of shocks so its pretty much word of mouth and a best guess, Now I wonder what my ride would be like if I had went with the tokico's LOL, maybe next time.

Follow up on KYB GR2 shocks one of the shocks is leaking I* do not know if it is defective or if installer did not "stroke" shock prior to installation as instructions call for and which I pointed out to installer.

The purpose of this entry is to speak (so far) highly of the "Tirerack" first I contacted kyb about this matter, they informed me to go back to where I purchase the shocks from which was the Tirerack. So I called the rack and custermer service could not have been more helpful. they will ship me a replacement no charge and ups will pick up the defective part. Also they will review my reciept for the cost of reinstalling the shock and see if they can work something out!

This is why I mentioned in my initial post the reason I went with the Tirerack over other sellers who were a little bit cheaper. I have been using the rack for years with nothing but positive results ie. professional knowlegable service, lower prices, and speedy delivery, and now forthe first time, so far, trouble free delivery.

Follow up on KYB GR2 shocks one of the shocks is leaking I* do not know if it is defective or if installer did not "stroke" shock prior to installation as instructions call for and which I pointed out to installer.

The purpose of this entry is to speak (so far) highly of the "Tirerack" first I contacted kyb about this matter, they informed me to go back to where I purchase the shocks from which was the Tirerack. So I called the rack and custermer service could not have been more helpful. they will ship me a replacement no charge and ups will pick up the defective part. Also they will review my reciept for the cost of reinstalling the shock and see if they can work something out!

This is why I mentioned in my initial post the reason I went with the Tirerack over other sellers who were a little bit cheaper. I have been using the rack for years with nothing but positive results ie. professional knowlegable service, lower prices, and speedy delivery, and now forthe first time, so far, trouble free delivery.

I guess I know where I am shopping for parts next time. Awesome service!

I was thinking about the KYB but I guess it was a good thing I went with the tokico blues. Ive had the tokico for a year or so and I love it. Nice ride and not too stiff.

For shocks I usually go to www.shox.com and they seem to have the cheapest prices with good customer service.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I know where I am shopping for parts next time. Awesome service!

So here is the hopefully end of my shocking story. Tirerack sent me a replacement shock the next day, no charge, and also paid me $94.00 on my credit card for the instillation of the replacement shock!! how manty companies would do that (the good ones) So I hope the KYB will last as long as my use of tirerack.

What started out as a report on a shock ended telling about a company that stands behind their product and customer.way to be tirerack.