95' Sc400 Front Wheel Bearing Question

A-ROCKET

Hello, I am new to this site and I have a question concerning front wheel bearing replacement.

I have determined that the bearing must be pressed out and the new one pressed in, I would like to hear how simple or how hard this procedure is.

Has anyone just decided to have a shop do the work?

Thanks in advance for the help.

i usually take the hub off, then take the hub to napa to have the bearing pressed out and in. usually costs about 50 bucks per side to do that

jzz30, once again you have saved me much $$$ with your great advice. My front bearings are hummin' like mad, and in need of replacement too. I'd have never thought to remove the hub assemblies and take them somewhere to have the old bearings removed and new ones pressed in. You just saved me $200. My shop guy wanted $150 per wheel labor.

About how long did it take you per wheel to remove the hubs? (I'm assuming it was a solo job) I've got a few more 55-degree days up here in the Detroit area before temps dip back down into the 30's making it less than desireble to be grease-monkeying around outside.

Thanks!

jzz30, one more thing. When you had your bearings done did they mention anything about having to replace and "inner and outer sills"? I got a quote over the phone from a local machine shop that presses bearings in-house to do mine for only $25/ea, but they mentioned that I would need to also provide them with inner and outer sills (in addition to the bearings, of course).

Do the bearings automatically come with a new set of sills?

using the right puller for the ball joints i think i got both front hubs off in about 1.5-2 hours. if the bearing is loose or you can wiggle the tire while the car is in the air, you may need to purchace a new inner hub(the part that goes in to the bearing) which can get costly.

when you buy the parts just ask for all the seals and even get new nuts because they are only a few dollars and why not!? everything needs to be purchaced separately so have your parts guy help you out in getting everything!