Aftermarket Amp And Subs With Ml

I have an 06 IS350 with Nav and ML. The stereo is pretty good, but it is definitely lacking in bass. I'd like to add an aftermarket subwoofer, but I am not sure where to get the audio signals from. There are 4 speakers in the rear deck. Which ones should I get the signal from? Should I get it from somewhere else?

Jimbo

• 2 weeks later...

See if I can help. Ok you can`t just grab a channel from the rear deck. You have to go to the main amp to add another amp. you can run a high to a low frquency comming out of the sub amp. then you can add another amp to run the sub.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

jzflsrt,

Where is the AMP located in the IS? I am trying to do the same thing on my '07 250. I need more bass so I was curious if I had AUX outputs on the head or if I can do exactly what you said in the above post.

jzflsrt,

Where is the AMP located in the IS? I am trying to do the same thing on my '07 250. I need more bass so I was curious if I had AUX outputs on the head or if I can do exactly what you said in the above post.

I've been struggling with adding a sub to my RX40oh with ML, so I'll share what I've learned so far. The ML system in my RX doesn't have aux outs, and I'd be surprised if any do. The ML systems do quite a bit if processing and equalizing of the signal, and not all speakers in the vehicle get a signal that contains bass below a certain frequency so you need to be a bit careful which speakers you tap to get the signal for the amp. If your vehicle has a factory sub already, that's the signal you want to tap. Unfortunately for me, the RX's don't so I have to tap the front doors (rear doors are mid-woofers and don't get the full bass signal- learned that one the hard way). As far as where to tap for the signal, you definitely want to tap an output from the amp to the speakers, as opposed to the signal from the head unit to the amp. The signal from the HU is not volume or mute controlled- there are separate wires from the HU to the amp that convey volume/mute info. Once you've ID'ed which speakers you want to tap for the signal for the sub, you can tap into them anywhere that's most convenient- either directly at the output of the amp or at the speaker, or anywhere in between. You can find wiring diagrams here (but you need to pay $10 to access and download): http://www.techinfo.toyota.com/

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded post. Hope my painful trial-and-error helps someone.

-John

• 2 weeks later...

on the NON ML audio setup for the is350, I think the amp is under a plastic tray on the right in the trunk.

Can you sub this amp with an aftermarket and plug a boxed sub to that? or does the factory amp handle more than just the sub under the rear window, behind the back seat?

thx,

gary