K And N Filters

ticman

There are a lot of opposing viewpoints about the K&N. Run a search for K&N posted by steviej and look for a thread from some time ago, the discussion got quite heated.

I personally think that improving airflow to the engine has always got to have a positive result, be it in gas mileage or in performance. The K&N improves airflow...

Plus I think K&N has a 100% satisfaction garantee.

I've put K & N air filters in several of my vehicles and I notice an increase in MPG, but not much of a performance increase. I have never used their oil filters, but I hear they are good..

there is no noticable increase in performance and gas mileage increase is variable depending on applications.

I personally picked up 2-3 mpg on both city and highway with a K&N in my 02.

If you look at investment vs. total savings in a 10 year period...it is a no brainer.

Advantages are:

1. you never have to buy an air filter again. at $12-20 per filter every 15,000 miles over 10 years, that adds up.

2. if you do see an increase in gas mileage then there is a major savings in money for gas here.

3. if you do not see an increase in mileage, the filter will not hurt your car nor does it void your warranty. the cost is <$40.

Disadvantages:

every 40-50k miles you have to take the filter out, wash it with a special cleaner (obtainable as part of the recharging kit avaialable at K&N dealers), and then re-oil the filter with their special oil (the other part of the recharge kit).

bottom line, it couldn't hurt to try so GO FOR IT.

steviej

unfortunately, TRD doesn't make one for the ES, or at least I could not find one on there website nor on Carson Toyotas website.

K&N does. They came out with one for the 02+ model last March. I swear by them. I had one in my old SSEi for the 75k miles that I owned it and never had a problem.

Speed, just by not ever having to buy a filter again, the K&N has paid for itself and the recharge kit. Anything after that is sauce for the goose.

steviej

ticman, you also mentioned the K&N oil filters.

They are nice too, cost $8 to $10 depending on where you get them. The are as good as Mobil 1 filters and the Toyota OEM filter for the same price.

The K&N filters have an advantage over those two filters though.

They have a fitting for a socket wrench to help get them off and on. No need for an adjustable oil filter wrench any more.

The filter placement on the ES is high up on the block, in the front, right under the exhaust manifold. It can get tricky and WARM up in there. Plus you take a chance at a little discomport if you choose to replace the filter on a "warm" engine and your wrists are exposed.

steviej