First Impressions On The Open Road – 2004 Rx330

taycon

1. Tyre noise seems excessive at speed, certainly not as one reviewer said: ‘one of the overriding sensations is an almost complete absence of road and wind noise – in keeping with usual Lexus standards. At highway speeds there's barely a whisper, the occupants cocooned in an automotive cone of silence’. Not my experience! Maybe its our West Australian country road surfaces, or my tyres (fairly worn at only 38000 Kms).

2. Ample power for overtaking, engine quiet and responsive. Found it better to flick to 4th gear prior to overtaking.

3. Cruise consumption seemed to be around an acceptable 11 l. per 100 km.

4. Annoying reflections of the dashboard top in the windscreen. Maybe caused by over zealous detailing resulting in high shine. Will try a matte finish, or will have to go for one of those felt dashboard mats.

5. Steering a bit on the light side, but handling acceptable.

6. I have the tyres at 36 psi so the ride is a little bumpy and skittish, but will result in increased tyre life and handling.

7. The climate system is a bit of a mystery to me – you seem to have to set it at around 25 degrees (both sides) even though the outside temperature was only in the low 20’s or else freeze. I ended up turning off the A/C all together. The problem may be that the car had been sitting in the sun and that vast dash area heats up and radiates such heat into the cabin that the system is sensing that and trying to overcome it.

8. Cruise control on mine will not resume the previous speed after you have set it and then braked. The symbol appears to indicate a pull towards the driver should ‘resume’, but that had no effect on mine.

9. Seating very comfortable, both front and rear, and infinitely adjustable to easily vary a setting.

10. Night lighting impressive but the upper cut off a bit sudden on low beam for me – high beam very good and the stalk handily placed.

11. Sat nav functionally excellent, but my database must be at least 5 years old and coverage away from the city area pretty sparse.

Any comments from other owners?

Comments interspersed below:

1. Tyre noise seems excessive at speed, certainly not as one reviewer said: ‘one of the overriding sensations is an almost complete absence of road and wind noise – in keeping with usual Lexus standards. At highway speeds there's barely a whisper, the occupants cocooned in an automotive cone of silence’. Not my experience! Maybe its our West Australian country road surfaces, or my tyres (fairly worn at only 38000 Kms).

Probably more dependent on the tires than the car. I just replaced the OEM Goodyears with Michelins and it seems quieter. Most noise complaints on the RX330 have been related to wind noise -- there is a TSB on the driver door seal and some have reported lower noises by removing the cross members from the roof rack.

2. Ample power for overtaking, engine quiet and responsive. Found it better to flick to 4th gear prior to overtaking.

4. Annoying reflections of the dashboard top in the windscreen. Maybe caused by over zealous detailing resulting in high shine. Will try a matte finish, or will have to go for one of those felt dashboard mats.

Definitely stay away from gloss finish products. In addition to glare they actually dry out the plastic.

Agreed. Every time I get in my Passat after driving the RX, it feels like I'm steering a race car -- more feedback and closer ratio. I guess vague steering is what people expect in a luxury SUV. Given the weight and height of this car, Lexus/Toyota did a nice job on the handling.

6. I have the tyres at 36 psi so the ride is a little bumpy and skittish, but will result in increased tyre life and handling.

Be careful that you don't get uneven tire wear (middle wearing out faster than the edges) -- but 36 psi isn't that far out of spec, so you are probably OK. This could also be contributing to your tire noise problem, however.

7. The climate system is a bit of a mystery to me – you seem to have to set it at around 25 degrees (both sides) even though the outside temperature was only in the low 20’s or else freeze. I ended up turning off the A/C all together. The problem may be that the car had been sitting in the sun and that vast dash area heats up and radiates such heat into the cabin that the system is sensing that and trying to overcome it.

Same thing here. I've grown accustomed to adding 4 degrees to the thermostat.

8. Cruise control on mine will not resume the previous speed after you have set it and then braked. The symbol appears to indicate a pull towards the driver should ‘resume’, but that had no effect on mine.

Mine resumes when I pull back on the stalk -- I would have that checked, especially if it is still under warranty as I imagine the CCM is not cheap on this car (is anything cheap on this car?).

9. Seating very comfortable, both front and rear, and infinitely adjustable to easily vary a setting.

10. Night lighting impressive but the upper cut off a bit sudden on low beam for me – high beam very good and the stalk handily placed.

11. Sat nav functionally excellent, but my database must be at least 5 years old and coverage away from the city area pretty sparse.

I NEVER liked the idea of FWD or front biased AWD and most certainly being restricted to the patently unsafe use of snow chains ONLY on the front wheels.

So my 2001 AWD RX300 immediately got 1.5" wheel spacers all around so snow could be used at the rear initially and additionally at the front if it became necessary. I also upgraded to 17X8 wheels and the appropriate +1" tires. Wider tread = more traction and stearing "feel", >3" wider stance = more stabilty.

I also switched to Bridgestone Turanza summer only tires for a more quiet and comfortable ride. Here in the eastside of the Seattle area I more often get to go to the snow and ice rather than it "coming" to me so I keep two sets of tire chains inthe RX during the winter months in case the latter occurs, and it has.

Ahhh, the Lexus climate control "flaws" saga. I could fill a book.

First, you need to know about at least three c-best options that are available that are set to stupidity "default" at the factory but that can be corrected by the dealer.

Have the dealer set the c-best options such that the A/C can be indefinitely disabled simply by turning it off once. It will then remain off until you turn it back on. The second one is that the dealer can unlink the A/C from operating automatically, with no indication to you of same, in the defrost/defog/demist windshield "clearing" mode. The newest one, which I cannot say your 04 will have, is the ability to keep the system from automatically switching into "cooling" mode when your personal comfort level would be adversely affected.

Insofar as the human comfort equation is concerned the heat gained/lost to the surrounding "landscape", your TOTAL surround, is just as important, maybe even moreso, as is the surrounding air temperature.

While I cannot fault Toyota/Lexus for not having the capability to "sense" the the radiant effects of the surrounding landscape, no automotive system does, they could be a little less stupid about some aspects of the system. Say if the OAT is on the coolish side and the solar radiant sensor is dark.

What the currently do, and insofar as I know have since 1989, is automatically switch the system into cooling mode during cool/cold weather when the IAT rises to within a few degrees of your temperature setpoint.

If the human comfort equation "sum" happens to be on the "cool" side due to the lack of "incoming" radiant heating then you will be somewhat discomforted by the "coolish" and dry/dehumidified (provided you haven't disabled the A/C) aqirflow directed to your face and upper body.

Additionally you might even find yourself EXTREMELY discomforted, as in 6 feet under, if this last aspect isn't "handled" properly. Assuming a rather cool or cold and somewhat humid climate (yes, a rarity) you may find the interior surface of the windshield quite thoroughly covered with condensation.

Once the system switches, automatically to cooling mode absolutely NO warming airflow is provided to the windshield. So on a coolish or cold day the temperature of the interior surface of the windshield will begin to decline. If it doesn't reach the dewpoint of the cabin climate from that effect then just wait...

For all of this time the A/C has been operating so as to dehumidify the incoming "fresh" airflow so as to prevent the dewpoint equation from becoming more serious. In that process the A/C cooling evaporator (10,000 sq. inches thereof) undoubtedly becomes covered with droppletts of condensation. as these dropplets grow in size gravity overcomes viscosity and they flow down and out the drain tube.

But now as you drive along the OAT continues to decline and once it reaches ~35F the A/C is shut off automatically and cannot be restarted absent the temperature rising above ~35F. The A/C indicator do go off when that happened but with no aural indication to warn you of the upcoming DANGER.

Next you begin to see small wisps of fog, condensation, at the bottom corners of the windshield, so just as any of us would, might, you reach over and activate the defrost/defog/demist function.

BLAM........DAMN, what happened...??!!

Your windshield just suddedly fogged over so thoroughly that you have NO forward vision.

My $500 garmin has a much broader map database than the Lexus 5.1 I just paid $300 to upgrade to. And the Garmin has much better routing software to boot.

I just got 2004 RX 330 for my wife. I have owned 3 models of Lexus before and then I switched to BMW to try. I can say now that Lexus compared to BMW is JUNK, in terms of performance, handling, power and so on. No offense to anyone.

I drive German, my wife drives Lexus. It's all a matter of personal taste. I appreciate the Lexus because it's well-made and for all the complaints about transmissions and such I spend much less time worrying over and working on the Lexus than any of the German cars.

Oh, and my wife is no soccer mom, she drove a Boxster and an SLK before the Lexus and she prefers the 330 hands down.

Also, if you're comparing the RX330 to the M6 or the 4.6L X5 (cars that are in your sig), then I would hardly call it a fair comparison in terms of handling or power. For what it is, the 330 is a very good machine for the money.

I just got 2004 RX 330 for my wife. I have owned 3 models of Lexus before and then I switched to BMW to try. I can say now that Lexus compared to BMW is JUNK, in terms of performance, handling, power and so on. No offense to anyone.

I drive German, my wife drives Lexus. It's all a matter of personal taste. I appreciate the Lexus because it's well-made and for all the complaints about transmissions and such I spend much less time worrying over and working on the Lexus than any of the German cars.

Oh, and my wife is no soccer mom, she drove a Boxster and an SLK before the Lexus and she prefers the 330 hands down.

Also, if you're comparing the RX330 to the M6 or the 4.6L X5 (cars that are in your sig), then I would hardly call it a fair comparison in terms of handling or power. For what it is, the 330 is a very good machine for the money.

Don't get me wrong, I like Lexus (I just bought one for my wife), but it lacks character, or soul, if you wish. As I live close to Japan, there is 90% ratio of Jap. cars. They are nice, comfortable, reliable, but smth is not there, if you know what I mean. You said you wife drove Mercedes and she didn't like it. I would say MB is totally junk. SLK is poorly built and doesn't look good, compared to Lexus. ( like Germans say: why do you want to buy a MB? It is for old people. Are you old?) But man, BMW is truly an ultimate driving machine. After BMW you can only drive a brand new BMW.

Don't get me wrong, I like Lexus (I just bought one for my wife), but it lacks character, or soul, if you wish. As I live close to Japan, there is 90% ratio of Jap. cars. They are nice, comfortable, reliable, but smth is not there, if you know what I mean. You said you wife drove Mercedes and she didn't like it. I would say MB is totally junk. SLK is poorly built and doesn't look good, compared to Lexus. ( like Germans say: why do you want to buy a MB? It is for old people. Are you old?) But man, BMW is truly an ultimate driving machine. After BMW you can only drive a brand new BMW.

I should not be the ultimate arbiter of automotive taste as my favorite car is still the old '73 VW Thing that I drive whenever I can. Having said that, I've named every German car that I've owned, but I can't quite bond with the Lexus -- I've even told my wife that I looked in the RX's headlights and I did not see a soul, so we agree to a point.

As someone said, matter of taste. I had a BMW, traded it for a Lexus and haven't looked back. Spouse still drives a 525, but likes the Lexus as well. And I drove an M5 when I lived in Germany, so have a little experience with both manufacturers and intense driving conditions; "JUNK" is a fairly non-applicable and extreme term for either auto company. As for the cruise control question, pulling the stalk TOWARD you turns it off; pushing it UP resumes speed...

Doc H.