Tilt But No Extension(not A Personal Problem)

dsmlexus

Folks I need some help. My '92 LS is great but starting to show it's age. My particular gripe right now is the steering column will tilt up and down properly but it will not telescope in and out anymore and it's retracted all the way in making for uncomfortable driving. I can hear a relay "click" when I move the switch but that is it. I also have found the relay box under the dash from feeling the "click" in the box. What can I try? What are my options? One phenomena that I have noticed is it works in the cold of winter but as soon as it warms up it quits.

Folks I need some help. My '92 LS is great but starting to show it's age. My particular gripe right now is the steering column will tilt up and down properly but it will not telescope in and out anymore and it's retracted all the way in making for uncomfortable driving. I can hear a relay "click" when I move the switch but that is it. I also have found the relay box under the dash from feeling the "click" in the box. What can I try? What are my options? One phenomena that I have noticed is it works in the cold of winter but as soon as it warms up it quits.

that's a frequent occurance on 1st gen LS4.

see this DIY guide that I did 3-year ago to fix up the 94 LS4 I used to own:

Precedure/pictures To Fix Steering Column Gear Box - 94 LS4

I'm so glad you asked this question. My new (to me) LS has the same problem! The telescoping seems to get tired after one or two extensions. It will work fine after it rests for a while. Very strange!, I hope there's a fix.