High Pitched Tone In The Cabin

tjsingh

Hi,

I have LX470, year 2000, 87k miles. 2-3 days ago I started hearing a constant high pitched tone in the cabin. It is very annoying. I hear it when I turn the ignition key all the way to ON position without starting the engine. It starts after 2-3 seconds. When the engine is started, I still hear it and it does not go away. I saw a similar issue in the forum from BARNEYHYPHEN (28th april 2006). I am not sure if issues are identical as I hear the high pitched sound when engine is not running and the ignition key all the way to the right.

I am not sure if it is related. Its Antenna stopped coming up and down 2-3 months ago. One of my friend mechanic told me that Antenna is broken and motor is fine.

Any clue as to what might be wrong?

You need a new junction block. There was a TSIB for it years ago. The sound you are hearing is the ABS/TRAC buzzer due to a short in the junction block.

You are right once again Mehullica. Thanks a lot. I was able to get the Technical Service Information Bulletin (TSIB) EL002-02. They call this problem "Continuous Alarm Noise from Combination Meter".

As stated it could cost me 650 parts and 250 labor. Is the Cowl Side Junction Block repairable?

Here is the URL to TSIB and some info from the website:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:EeZyF6A...t=clnk&cd=1

Some 1998 – 2002 model year LX 470 vehicles may experience the following conditions:S A continuous chime/alarm noise emitting from the combination meter after the vehiclehas been started or the key has been turned to the “run” position after the bulb checkhas been completed.S Door mirror inoperative or incorrectly moves when it is adjusted by the remote controlswitch (the mirrors may be adjusted manually).As informed through TSIB EL003–01, dated January 8, 2001, the Cowl Side JunctionBlock was upgraded from January 2001. For further improvement, the Wire Harness(Instrument Panel Integration) has been upgraded to correct the above conditions.

Chances are it's not repairable. You need the driver side block. Take out the left kick panel that covers it. Then unbolt the sky blue color wire harness that bolts to it. Blow out the connector and block with compressed air and reassemble. During production of the block, small metal shavings got left inside and eventually will fall onto a circuit and short it out. Blowing out the block and connector might work, maybe not.

Send me a private message, I may be able to help you out on this problem.

Mehullica,

How do I send a personal message. When I tried, it says "I am not allowed to use messenger features in this forum". Thanks for your help!!

tjsingh, that's because you dont have enough posts to PM other members. When you reach, I think, 20 posts, you can PM anyone. ;)

• 3 months later...

I have the same issue...when I go in reverse the mirrors go down, but when I put in drive the drivers side mirror does not go to the previoud position. Also, I can move the drivers side mirror with the mirror control, but the passengers side I can't. I also here a whistling noise coming from the dash. Do you think that replacing the junction block will fix all these problems? Also, does anyone know where I can purchase a junction block at a reasonable price? Thanks!

• 7 months later...
Email me@ kweps@sbcglobal.net

What was the final result on this issue? It appears I have the same problem and the dealer is quoting nearly $1,000 to repair. Did the compressed air solution work? If not is this a repair that a handy owner could tackle?

Thanks,

ERAU23

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure what worked. But here is what I did to resolve this issue after being motivated by Mehullica's compressed air suggestion:

I took my Van to my friend mechanic. He took out junction box located on the driver side. Disconnected all wires and connectors, applied wd40 to alll wires and connection points. Cleaned the connections with compressed air. After reconnecting, the problem went away and it hasn't come back for last few months.:cheers:

• 1 month later...
Chances are it's not repairable. You need the driver side block. Take out the left kick panel that covers it. Then unbolt the sky blue color wire harness that bolts to it. Blow out the connector and block with compressed air and reassemble. During production of the block, small metal shavings got left inside and eventually will fall onto a circuit and short it out. Blowing out the block and connector might work, maybe not.

I used the compressed air solution on my 2000 LX and it worked like a charm. Be sure to remove the cover and use the air brush attachment to your compressor to get a high pressure air stream. Then blast the crap out of the block from all angles. Good lick

• 15 years later...
On 9/12/2006 at 10:50 PM, mehullica said:

You need a new junction block. There was a TSIB for it years ago. The sound you are hearing is the ABS/TRAC buzzer due to a short in the junction block.

I have the same issue on my 2004 LX470. Something very new for me. It has been the best car I have ever owned and have not had to have repairs for almost 15 years. How lucky am I. Now there is a high pitch sound (alarm) that comes and goes as of yesterday. I drove it 3 miles and it went off again. It is soooo annoying and I don't know how dangerous it is to drive with it on. After reading posts it sounds like a $1500 repair at the dealership but I feel most mechanics may not know what to do to fix it. Mainly I can deal with it unless it is dangerous.