Anybody Ever Pull A Trailer With Their 400h?

I am renting a 5x8 uhaul trailer this weekend & was wondering if anyone's had any experience pulling a trailer with their RX400h? I've never pulled a trailer at all, so I'm sure it will be an experience either way. :unsure:

I have the factory hitch & harness that I installed myself. My RX supposedly has the "tow prep" package (according to the sticker & the fact that the right connector was already on the vehicle wiring harness to plug the hitch harness into), so I guess that's in my favor.

I am renting a 5x8 uhaul trailer this weekend & was wondering if anyone's had any experience pulling a trailer with their RX400h? I've never pulled a trailer at all, so I'm sure it will be an experience either way. :unsure:

I have the factory hitch & harness that I installed myself. My RX supposedly has the "tow prep" package (according to the sticker & the fact that the right connector was already on the vehicle wiring harness to plug the hitch harness into), so I guess that's in my favor.

You should be good to go. Make sure the taillights operate properly once you have the trailer hooked up (check the Lexus lights too! sometime they can affect one another). Don't forget to attach the safety chain.

Your hitch should have come with a ball mount and cross pin. You will need to get a ball (usually 2" dia) and you may need a spacer to reduce the size of the hole where the ball mounts. Pay attention to the height of the tounge when the trainer is attached, it should be level with the ground. If you need to get a different ball mount (or flip it over) to get this right then by all means make this happen. You want the trailer load to go straight thru the car not be aimed up or down because it will affect your handling when you apply the brakes.

When you load the trailer put all the heavy/dense stuff toward the front and as low as possible (lie flat vs stand up). And please, for the sake of the rest of us...STRAP DOWN THE LOAD.

Remember when backing up, your steering wheel imputs will be opposite from what you would normaly do to maneuver. It takes a little getting used to...I suggest practice in an open parking lot. Your camera should help prevent jackknife conditions since you can see it developing before your eyes.

Have fun. Enjoy your 400h. Stay aware of the trailer, it can become second nature pretty quick and it's easy to forget that its there.

Lexus hitch comes without towbar or ball you need to buy both elseware. I have towed a 1400 lb boat / trailer combination several 1,000 miles with my 400h. Handles and pulls well gas milage goes into the dumper 17-19 but that is to be expected. Ball size is trailer dependent usually 1 7/8 might also be 2 inch.

The backup camera is great for backing up to the trailer ball, which I do several times per week during the summer. With a little practice you can get to less than 1 inch from the ball consistently.

Ron

Handles and pulls well gas milage goes into the dumper 17-19 but that is to be expected. Ron

That's very good, considering that an RX330 or 350 often average less than that without ANY load.

I tow my boat all over. It is a 20 foot Allison bass boat and weigh's a bit over 2000 pounds with the trailer. You dont even know its behind you it pulls so nice. I can even get it out of most boat landings on electric power. My last trip towing the boat was 200 miles at 20.2 MPG. I now have 7900 miles on my 400h

• 3 weeks later...

That's good news! I hope to get a hitch to hook up a 4-bike carrier. We used to cram them into our Nissan Quest and the bikes grow along with the kids, so.......time for some new equipment.