Nakamichi Ls400 3 Out Of 4 Speakers Are Out

I have a Nakamichi factory system in a 1990 Ls400. Suddenly I lost all sound from 3 out of 4 doors. Only the front right and woofer still work. I searched all over for the amp and could not find it (the sub amp was easy to find). now i read on this site that the amp is under the CD changer.

First of all would you guess that the problem is with the headunit or the amp (or could so many speakers all fail at the same time)? As mentioned above the system works fine on just one door and the sub woofer.

I already pulled the head unit out so i could test from there if you suggest a test from there.

Finally, i pulled out the cell phone apparatus out of the trunk. It appears to have leaked badily. I don't need the cell phone set up but thought that may be a factorin the system going down?

Thanks

bump

THE 4 DOOR SPEAKER AMP IS IN THE HEAD UNIT. THE CARSTEREOHELP.COM WEBSITE IS INCORRECT THAT THE NAK AMP IS UNDER THE CD CHANGER IN 90 TO 92. . IT IS UNDER ON THE GS AND SC FIRST GENRATION BUT NOT LS. THE 93 94 NAK AMP WENT TO 5 CHANNELS LIKE GS AND SC BUT THEY GOT SMARTER AND PUT IT ON TOP OF THE CD CHANGER IN 93 94. I WOULD SAY ITS JUST THE SPEAKERS NOT THE AMP. THE SPEAKERS HAVE PAPER CONES AND 16 YEARS IS ABOUT IT FOR THE PAPER. I HAVE POLYPROPYLENE UPDATED SPEAKERS IN STOCK IF YOUR INTERESTED. THEY COME WITH PHOTO INSTALL DIRECTIONS.

Thanks for that response and indeed you are right. the front two speakers were no good. Replacing them with new 4" pioneers fixed it. as for the rear the fault is not the speaker. their is no signal coming to the speaker. It's good enough now even though one rear speaker is not functioning. I bought speakers at Best Buy before reading your response so sorry i can't take you up on your offer.

• 2 weeks later...

Just did a quick search but couldn't find the Best Buy receipt. I seem to always loose/misplace those little crappy thermal paper receipts. Furtheremore they tend to fade out with time.

In any case the speakers cost around $58.99 a pair (or was it $52.99?). They are the only 4" Pioneers carried by my local Best B here on west side LA, Pico Bd. I recall leaving out a mounting screw because i couldn't get all 4 to line up enough. The phase (pos/neg) should be respected otherwise you will create some strange noise cancelling effects. Just make sure you look at the hook up before pulling out the old speakers as it is not clearly labeled +/-.

well a little more digging and voila here it is:

Pioneer 4" 100W max. TS-G1041R. $51.99/pair.

This is what you guys are talking about:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pioneer-4-T...roductDetail.do

Go to bestbuy.com and circuitcity.com and search for 4" speakers. Around six months ago these stores only carried 1-2 kinds of 4", now they have added more varieties. These retail stores are a little expensive when it comes to car speakers. If you don't mind ordering online, I recommend online audio merchants:

http://www.crutchfield.com/

{When searching their catalog skip the crutchfield car selector step, because they have incorrect size for LS400 in their lists.}

Here is their line up of 4” speakers:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mGf0WN9KxVB/c...=Y&skipvs=T

Here is a tutorial made by a Lexus enthusiast on “How to fit a 5.25" Speaker in a 4" Location”

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/audio/fspeaker.html

In his pictures you can see that the speakers fit into a plastic box. If the holes on any 4” speakers do not match the original holes than you can simply drill new holes with a hand screw driver, nothing complicated there.

As for as selecting the correct speakers while NOT upgrading the original amplifier [if you have one] you should select speakers based on their sensitivity. Because you want speakers that are the most “efficient.”

"For the first example, a speaker that is 3 dB more sensitive than another will produce double the sound pressure (or play 3 dB louder) for the same power as the other. Thus a 100W speaker (call it A) rated at 92 dB/(W.m) sensitivity will be twice as loud as a 200W speaker (call it "b") rated at 89 dB/(W.m) when both are driven with 100W of input power. For this particular example, when driven at 100W, speaker A will produce the same SPL or loudness that speaker B would produce with 200W input. Thus a 3 dB increase in sensitivity of the speaker means that it will need half the power to achieve a given SPL, and this translates into a smaller power amplifier and some cost savings."---wikipedia

Originally I did purchase the Pioneer TS-G1041R from circuit city but after installing just one speaker, I returned both pairs and purchased Audiobahn AS40Q from crutchfield.com

However, the Pioneers are great speakers, in my opinion, just as good as the originals if not better. But I wanted to upgrade a little bit more.

Here is a link to my old thread about my speakers with pictures of the original Nak speakers and Pioneer TS-G1041R side by side.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...25116&st=15