Having Major Issues W/ My 1995 Es300

Hey Guys,

Looking for some speculation. My 1995 ES300 has 147k on it. I've owned it for 10,000 miles. When I bought the car it ran great, except it would sometimes clunk if I punched it off the start because I believe the transmission mount has seen MUCH better days. Also, a mechanic informed me the engine mounts are shot as well.

About 4 months ago the Check Engine light came on, but the car ran great. I had it diagnosed by a mechanic who speculated it was a faulty Mass Airflow Sensor. However, after describing the issues, forum members rediagnosed it as the rear exhaust manifold 02 sensor (based on code P0170 - Fuel Trim Malfunction).

Flash foward to the last month or two. The car now started to make a lot of lurching when starting in first gear. I first thought the car just needs a tune up (plugs, wires, etc) and maybe some electrical cleaning, but the problem has gotten progressively worse.

Now every time I start in first gear, regardless of if the car is warmed up it has major hesitation and lurches foward hard, causing the transmission to "clunk" around.

I have noticed if I start driving in Low Gear 2 the start is a little smoother, but still a little rough, and then I shift into Drive as soon as get midway into 2nd gear. I realize you guys don't have a crystal ball to tell me exactly what's wrong, but I was hoping maybe its happened to someone else before and its not the tranny. Thanks in advance.

I think it's the transmission. There should be no differance in position 1 & position 2 in the gear selector. The fluid still routes through the first gear section in the manual valve body.

Check the fluid & kick-down cable, and that the torque convertor lock-up is functioning correctly.

Thats my best guess.