Sc 430 Tire Replacement

ghmundt

i KNOW THIS IS A TOPIC THAT HAS BEEN COVERED HERE BEFORE, BUT NOT FOR SOME TIME. I AM GETTTING READY TO CHUCK THE RUNFLATS ON MY 05 SC430 AND REPLACE THEM WITH NON RUNFLATS. IT SEEMS MOST PEOPLE ARE VERY HAPPY WITH THE MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S. STILL TRUE? IS THERE A BETTER REPLACEMENT BALANCING COMFORT AND PERFORMANCE? IS THERE ANYWHERE TO GET A COMPACT SPARE FOR THE CAR WITHOUT HAVING TO BUY THE $700 KIT FROM LEXUS?

• 1 month later...

i KNOW THIS IS A TOPIC THAT HAS BEEN COVERED HERE BEFORE, BUT NOT FOR SOME TIME. I AM GETTTING READY TO CHUCK THE RUNFLATS ON MY 05 SC430 AND REPLACE THEM WITH NON RUNFLATS. IT SEEMS MOST PEOPLE ARE VERY HAPPY WITH THE MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S. STILL TRUE? IS THERE A BETTER REPLACEMENT BALANCING COMFORT AND PERFORMANCE? IS THERE ANYWHERE TO GET A COMPACT SPARE FOR THE CAR WITHOUT HAVING TO BUY THE $700 KIT FROM LEXUS?

ghmundt,

I recently took the plunge and replaced the run-flats with Michelin Pilot PS2 and wish I would have done the switch when first purchasing the car several years ago. I am in Florida and hence passed on the A/S . . .

The tires are: quiet, comfortable and track beautifully without the characteristic run-flat tendency of following the crown of the road where ever the crown of the road decided we should go at any given moment! (Looking forward to any postings about donuts that might fit in the event of a flat)

A true joy and ushers the magnificence of the rest of the vehicle into another realm completely ~

check your caps lock key, i think its stuck :whistles:

• 2 weeks later...

Check with an Acura dealer. They use a compact spare in one of the TL models, and it fits the SC430 perfectly

• 2 months later...

What is the $700 kit from the dealer and where does it store? Where can I Gget info on this other than from the dealer?

Kevin

• 2 months later...

I just put on Contenental Conti Extreme Contact tires. Excellent reviews.

I replaced my runflat tires about a 1000 miles ago... WOW, what a difference... I picked the General Exclaim UHP tires... these are summer tires (I live in Las Vegas) that I can enjoy year round :D . They have a very advanced tread design. My other choice if I felt I needed an All-Season tire would be the all-season Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position UHP. I did plenty of reseach. The Tire Rack (www.tirerack.com) :) offers a lot of insight and info about tires. Now lets get serious, a spare tire is not needed. Real men do not change flat tires. We micro manage using cell phones and flatbed tow trucks. Do you really want to attempt changing a flat on your SC430 with the Fisher-Price Jack provided by Lexus?

I just had the Continental Conti Extreme Contact put on my SC and they made a world of difference (very quiet).

theazz

• 1 month later...

I am finally replacing the runflats on my 02 SC430. I already have Antera chrome rims with 235/45/ZR17 tires from another car (though the tires need to be replaced). Is anyone aware of issues with this size tire on the car? Recommendations for tire brand/model? What needs to be done with the tire pressure sensors?

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Check with an Acura dealer. They use a compact spare in one of the TL models, and it fits the SC430 perfectly

Did you find the spare that fits from the Acura dealer? please do let me know at kdzthdr@yahoo.com Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always considered dropping the RFTs but being cheap, I was waiting until they were nearer to the end of their useable life. That is, until last weekend. I was driving on a highway and had the air pressure alarm go off. Sure enough, when I pulled over and checked the tires, the right rear was at zero.

Being only about 25 miles from my dealer, I decided to limp over and get the tire fixed. WRONG! After about 12 miles the tire started to disassemble itself. I had to call Lexus towing and wait over an hour to get towed in. I no longer trust the RFTs to get me anywhere in case of puncture. The Lexus dealer informed me that there is no actual warranty for how long the RTS will hold-up and he thought 12 miles was pushing it!

From reading the many posts here, and my own research, I already knew I would buy Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires, so I ordered 4 from Tire Rack and had them delivered. Picked the car up on Saturday and all I can say is DON'T wait to drop the RFTs! I can't believe the difference in noise, handling, and comfort with the new feet.

BTW, I also purchased a 12V compressor/fix-a-flat combo unit from Tire Rack. I'm sure I'll get better than 12 miles if I ever get another flat. It's called CONTI COMFORT KIT-12V PORTABLE and costs $79.

Add my voice to the pack.... don't keep the run flats!

I've always considered dropping the RFTs but being cheap, I was waiting until they were nearer to the end of their useable life. That is, until last weekend. I was driving on a highway and had the air pressure alarm go off. Sure enough, when I pulled over and checked the tires, the right rear was at zero.

Being only about 25 miles from my dealer, I decided to limp over and get the tire fixed. WRONG! After about 12 miles the tire started to disassemble itself. I had to call Lexus towing and wait over an hour to get towed in. I no longer trust the RFTs to get me anywhere in case of puncture. The Lexus dealer informed me that there is no actual warranty for how long the RTS will hold-up and he thought 12 miles was pushing it!

From reading the many posts here, and my own research, I already knew I would buy Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires, so I ordered 4 from Tire Rack and had them delivered. Picked the car up on Saturday and all I can say is DON'T wait to drop the RFTs! I can't believe the difference in noise, handling, and comfort with the new feet.

BTW, I also purchased a 12V compressor/fix-a-flat combo unit from Tire Rack. I'm sure I'll get better than 12 miles if I ever get another flat. It's called CONTI COMFORT KIT-12V PORTABLE and costs $79.

Add my voice to the pack.... don't keep the run flats!

I just ditched the run flats and went with the Continental - Contiprocontact, what a differance the ride and handling are far better than the run flats. The Michelen will give a little better ride but the Contipro will give you more milage at a little less cost. As far as the spare we just keep a couple of cans of Fix a Flat in the trunk.

• 1 month later...

I just ditched the run flats and went with the Continental - Contiprocontact, what a differance the ride and handling are far better than the run flats. The Michelen will give a little better ride but the Contipro will give you more milage at a little less cost. As far as the spare we just keep a couple of cans of Fix a Flat in the trunk.

Can you use Fix-a-Flat with the tire sensors? I was always worried it would damage the tire sensors. Anyone else have any experience with this?

• 2 weeks later...

This is a useful thread as tires are an important decision. I have an 05 SC430 with 17,500 and my RFTs are done. It seems that everyone agrees that moving away from RFT is a good decision but which tire to buy is wide open. Here are some specific questions that I'm looking for input on:

1. In a winter environment (Rochester NY) where I would like to use them 2-3 seasons (non-snow), is all-season worth considering?

2. Most of the tires suggested don't have mileage ratings so would be interested if there is a good tire I can get close to 40k out of.

3. Prices really vary- from $113 to $300+ and I'm wondering for those who have experienced these tires whether putting more money into them really matters. I will not be racing but would like a much more comfortable ride, some improved cornering/handling and some longevity without spending a fortune.

4. Does anyone know if the flat kits work - it sounds like a great idea and much more practical than hauling around a spare that will take up any remaining trunk room.

By the way, as you can see, it's very hard to sift through this thread when the previous responses are echoed on each post. If everyone would delete all the stuff that appears first in the reply window, all the previous responses would not show up so many times and it would be easier to navigate through the responses. The preview button will validate you have a clean post.