Potential 98 Gs400 Buyer With Questions

Hello!

I've owned BMW 540 & M3 in the past and currently have a S2000. I've been looking for an affordable, reliable 4dr w/ auto tranny and locally found a 1998 GS400 with 48k miles. Car seems to be in a great shape.

I've heard in general that Lexus cars are super reliable, but what about this car in particular? What are key things that tend to fail I should get checked before buying? Car does not have nav, xenon, or nakamichi. I really want the xenon lights, is it possible to retrofit these? how much?

Also, are GS400 owners getting ~18mpg in the city?

Thanks for any help !! :)

my friend has an M3, and he finds my GS to be heavy (obviously), and handles too soft. basically, the hard edged peformance his BMW has is lacking my my lexus :cries:

yes they are reliable, but you have to factor in age, which no car is not suceptible to, so expect stuff like bushings, etc. to be a little bit on the tired side, depending on the condition of the car.

as for suspect stuff... door actuator failure, starter failure, front suspension bushings worn, evap core leak, headlight condensation, RMS... again, all age-related.

OEM hid headlights can be retrofitted into a non HID GS with some rewiring, but i do not think the auto-leveling features will work, so you will have to aim manually and leave it like normal headlights would.

my friend has an M3, and he finds my GS to be heavy (obviously), and handles too soft. basically, the hard edged peformance his BMW has is lacking my my lexus :cries:

yes they are reliable, but you have to factor in age, which no car is not suceptible to, so expect stuff like bushings, etc. to be a little bit on the tired side, depending on the condition of the car.

as for suspect stuff... door actuator failure, starter failure, front suspension bushings worn, evap core leak, headlight condensation, RMS... again, all age-related.

OEM hid headlights can be retrofitted into a non HID GS with some rewiring, but i do not think the auto-leveling features will work, so you will have to aim manually and leave it like normal headlights would.

Boy it sounds like youve had a rough experience with yours.Are you the first owner this seems like alot of probs for a GS.The GS4 tends to be an extremely reliable car.At 120K I havent had to spend one cent on repairs.

I bought my 98 GS300 with 54k on it. I have 94k now.

The only thing I have repaired since i bought the car was the door actuator (250 part, 70 labor..common problem with this car) and minor things here and there like taillight bulb, 2 bulbs in climate control unit.

Hes right, depends on how many owners the car has had, how it was taken care of etc..

Car still rides smooth and no major problems yet...thank god. Although I do think my rotors need to be replaced soon. Again, thats because of the age and previous owner.

At 48k, you are ok. Car is still "new". Spend $50 and have a mechanic inspect it if you really want the car. That still doesnt mean things wont go bad 6 months from now but still gives you some type of relief having it checked out.

Good Luck and keep us posted