Where To Get A Pi Tc Installed?

new big400:

If you don't mind could you tell me your experiences with it such as from a dead stop, from a roll, freeway speeds etc. I realize you probably answered this question a lot before but I would appreciate hearing it from you and not through a search. I will be buying this TC in the next week or so.

Also, why is it on some websites the PI TC is a single-disc and other websites show the TC as a multi-disc unit for the years 1998-2000 (I have a 2000). I contacted Precision Industries direct and found out that they are only supposed to be a single-disc unit; I just don't want the wrong one installed. Oh, which do you have a 2800 or 3000 stall? I was told the 3000 might be too high for our cars, is this true?

Thanks for your advice

new big400:

If you don't mind could you tell me your experiences with it such as from a dead stop, from a roll, freeway speeds etc. I realize you probably answered this question a lot before but I would appreciate hearing it from you and not through a search. I will be buying this TC in the next week or so.

Also, why is it on some websites the PI TC is a single-disc and other websites show the TC as a multi-disc unit for the years 1998-2000 (I have a 2000). I contacted Precision Industries direct and found out that they are only supposed to be a single-disc unit; I just don't want the wrong one installed. Oh, which do you have a 2800 or 3000 stall? I was told the 3000 might be too high for our cars, is this true?

Thanks for your advice

If you didnt know you had the TC installed you would never be able to tell.On a rolling start you cant tell and on the freeway you cant tell the only time you can tell is from a stop if you choose to stage it.If you dont it drives normal its not like the older vehicles that would rev way up before they move.I have the 2800 and agree a 3000 would prob. be too much.As far as how many discs I have no idea just buy it from someone reputable and youll be alright.Have you considered gears?I prefer and get more use out of my gears than my TC.

Thanks bro, you are extremely helpful. I think your car is hooked up exactly how I want to mod my car. I was thinking about new rear gears (3.76) but I don't know too much about it. Please if you wouldn't mind let me know your experience with your gears such as from the above scenerios; dead stop, rolling, freeway etc. What type to get? Price? Would you or did you do this mod before or after the TC?

Also, at freeway speeds of 80mph I am running around 2500RPM's (normal I guess for a stock GS400) what RPM would you say you were at 80mph? I realize more fuel will be consumed but I was also putting into consideration my exhaust (I know at a certain RPM at freeway speeds you sometimes can get the "droning" sound inside the cabin from the exhaust.) Your car sounds like it has a lot done to it, I'm sure you have now intake, exhaust, TC, gears and maybe you just got headers done. Everything but FI, which to me is good. Don't get me wrong FI is good but when you don't have a tuning shop nearby and something goes wrong your screwed! :pirate: I'd rather bolt on everything I can! How quick would you say your car is given that a stock GS4XX does 14.2 (1/4) and 5.8 (0-60mph)? Just need somethng to look forward to. :cheers: Cheers!

Thanks

Thanks bro, you are extremely helpful. I think your car is hooked up exactly how I want to mod my car. I was thinking about new rear gears (3.76) but I don't know too much about it. Please if you wouldn't mind let me know your experience with your gears such as from the above scenerios; dead stop, rolling, freeway etc. What type to get? Price? Would you or did you do this mod before or after the TC?

Also, at freeway speeds of 80mph I am running around 2500RPM's (normal I guess for a stock GS400) what RPM would you say you were at 80mph? I realize more fuel will be consumed but I was also putting into consideration my exhaust (I know at a certain RPM at freeway speeds you sometimes can get the "droning" sound inside the cabin from the exhaust.) Your car sounds like it has a lot done to it, I'm sure you have now intake, exhaust, TC, gears and maybe you just got headers done. Everything but FI, which to me is good. Don't get me wrong FI is good but when you don't have a tuning shop nearby and something goes wrong your screwed! :pirate: I'd rather bolt on everything I can! How quick would you say your car is given that a stock GS4XX does 14.2 (1/4) and 5.8 (0-60mph)? Just need somethng to look forward to. :cheers: Cheers!

Thanks

Sorry man Ive typed this up several times and everytime I try to submit it my internet has been out.Anyhow I did the TC and gears at the same time.I prefer the gears over TC.She is a completely different car. From a stop it will light up my rears and they are 275/35/18 Nittos.When rolling and put to the floor it will downshift and atleast chirp them.Running down the highway at 80mph Im running about 3k rpms.I really like this when I want to pick up just a mph or 2 it has alot more without having to kick down a gear. The cheapest and easiest way to do this is to find a whole diff. from a 93-98 supra.(turbo automatic)You have to get the right one because there are several gear choices on the supras.This route will run you $500-800.I bought my gears from a dealer and the TRD LSD and had one built and it was very pricey.The bearing alone cost almost as much as a used supra diff.As far as gas mileage I havent noticed a difference but Im sure its there.Yes I do have headers and they are hardly worth the cost and headache of installation.Id put them at the bottom of your list.As far as stock GS4's running 14.2 I know theyre rated at that but Ive never seen one do it.Im not sure what mine is running as I havent had a chance to take it to the track since the recent mods and probably wont until I install my 125hp. zex kit. :o Let me know if I can be of further help and Good luck.

:cheers: Great! Thanks for the response, I think you covered everything I asked! If you don't mind I just have a couple of questions about the gears, you seem very knowledgeable.

I realize that I want 3.76 gears (rear diff gears); does that mean I have to get an LSD such as the one sold @ L-tuned.com for $1,699?

Do I have to buy an LSD unit in order to have these 3.76 gears?

Does the LSD come with the 3.76 gears included or do I have to buy these gears separately?

Does the GS400 come stock with an LSD?

I am totally clueless when it comes to rear diffs and LSD's (aren't they the same thing?). Also, By researching what an LSD does I'm not sure if I will benefit from my (kind of stock) car. Doesn't it transfer the power from the slipping wheels to the grabbing wheels on launches and cornering? If so my car never even breaks the tires from a stand still, I'm not sure if I need something that will increase my traction. What am I not getting here? Please help! Oh, and I understand there is another option you mentioned of getting gears from an older turbo Supra, not sure if I want to do that though - eventhough there is large cost savings. I will probably have my local dealership install these gears.

Nick

:cheers: Great! Thanks for the response, I think you covered everything I asked! If you don't mind I just have a couple of questions about the gears, you seem very knowledgeable.

I realize that I want 3.76 gears (rear diff gears); does that mean I have to get an LSD such as the one sold @ L-tuned.com for $1,699?

Do I have to buy an LSD unit in order to have these 3.76 gears?

Does the LSD come with the 3.76 gears included or do I have to buy these gears separately?

Does the GS400 come stock with an LSD?

I am totally clueless when it comes to rear diffs and LSD's (aren't they the same thing?). Also, By researching what an LSD does I'm not sure if I will benefit from my (kind of stock) car. Doesn't it transfer the power from the slipping wheels to the grabbing wheels on launches and cornering? If so my car never even breaks the tires from a stand still, I'm not sure if I need something that will increase my traction. What am I not getting here? Please help! Oh, and I understand there is another option you mentioned of getting gears from an older turbo Supra, not sure if I want to do that though - eventhough there is large cost savings. I will probably have my local dealership install these gears.

Nick

No you dont have to buy the l-tuned part to get the gears.This is the trd LSD im referring to.http://l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=657 You say your car wont spin the tires now but with these gears it will have no problem.Thats why I bought this carrier was to help with traction but its not necessary for the gears.A used Supra diff. is the way to go I wouldnt be afraid to install one with 200k+.These are highly sought after and if you didnt like it or sold the car you could recoop your investment.You could swap the whole diff. in a couple of hours.If you just purchase gears youll be using your existing diff. and if you were unhappy or selling the car they would have to be removed and this would cost the same as installing them.I would be surprised if your dealer would install gears mine wouldnt.And it could be costly.I bought all my parts at dealer cost and the gears were $550,bearings$300,trd lsd $800,labor$190.So if you just do the gears and no lsd and can buy the parts at cost youre looking at $1040.And to remove for any reason $490.And that labor price was with the diff out of the car if you dont remove it yourself add a couple more hours of labor.Mine ran just over 2k to build and that was at cost.Buy the supra diff swap the whole unit in a couple of hours and when youre done with it remove it and sell it for what you paid.Thats my 2 cents.

Thanks for the help. I found the below listing on-line...is this what you suggest or what I need?

"this is in good working order and came off a US SPEC 6 speed Supra Turbo with 95k miles of use."

NOTE: THIS IS ONLY FOR THE INNER DIFFERENTIAL ASSEMBLY. this does not include the external housing better known as the pumkin.

What do you think?

Nick

Where is the link?Id get the whole pumpkin if not youll spend 4-$500 on bearings and another 200 on installation.Are you a member of CL?These tend to be pretty common around there.If you get the whole pumpkin you can always remove it and sell it when your done or if you dont like it for some reason.