Need Repair Shop In Berkeley!

glenmore

Just drove up from Los Angeles to Berkeley. In slow traffic I heard a rumbling from the engine. Listening more closely at a gas station, it sounds like bearings from one of the pulleys, the old "marbles in a can" noise. Can anyone suggest a Lexus repair indie here in the Berkeley area?

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

The ugly details: $631. Ouch!

Finally found a place that could look at the car Saturday. Most places were not open or booked by appointment only already. Found a guy on San Pablo where there were a number of other shops. I had only this one chance to fix the car and it had to be done. We had driven from LA to Bay area to move our son into UC Berkeley and if the car wasn't fixed Saturday, we would have a host of expensive complications.

Nice shop, well kept, nice tool carts, not busy (translation: probably expensive). Guy takes a look with a flashlight and sees a small pile of fresh aluminum shavings by the fan bracket. He thinks water pump with the attendant timing belt that is usually done with this repair. I told him new water pump and timing belt at 120m and we were only at 150m. He still thought it was water pump but would know soon enough. Turns out it was the fan bracket, a routine replacement wear part but an expensive one, $270. The not so local Lexus dealer was open and did have the part, but they had to drive down and get it. Estimated labor $300. Total came to $631.

glenmore

1990 LS400

2000 C280

1991 300CE