Clicking Noise In Engine

rayder34

I have a 98 ES300 (150k Miles) which has had "clicking" noise in engine for a couple months as it idles and as gas is pressed it gets faster. I took it to a trusted shop and they told me without tearing it apart they cannot diagnose noise. (problem is they want $1000 just to tear it apart) until they do they cannot be sure what is wrong.

They gave me a couple "guesses" that it could be lifter or carbon buildup. They also said the engine is running fine and they do not think it is worth tearing it apart for that price (at least they are honest) I just paid them $1100 to do bunch of other work so I am kind of tapped out

So I guess my question is - has anyone else had an issue similar or have a good guess as to what might be wrong? Am I damaging my engine? Should I take it to dealer and have them look at it before my engine blows up?

Any help would be appreciated

There are a bunch of rotating & moving things in the engine bay. We'd be guessing. (So far. By your description we know there's a ticking, and it comes fo the enigne bay & is somehow related to the engine. :) )

Take your head (Or a video camera) & stick it in the enigne bay. Triangulate the position of the noise & we'll probably nail it.

I highly doubt carbon build-up on the valves, but it could be valves needing adjustment.

There are a bunch of rotating & moving things in the engine bay. We'd be guessing. (So far. By your description we know there's a ticking, and it comes fo the enigne bay & is somehow related to the engine. :) )

Take your head (Or a video camera) & stick it in the enigne bay. Triangulate the position of the noise & we'll probably nail it.

I highly doubt carbon build-up on the valves, but it could be valves needing adjustment.

Just picked up car....

Their notes said noise coming from Rear bank of Engine Lifter

If I was to describe where it was coming from... it is right behind firewall..... top back of center of engine

Hope this helps

Yup. Probably time for a valve job.

My advice is learn to do it yourself, or learn to live with it. ;)

Valve jobs are expencive. The good news, is that being an OHC valvetrain, you can typically drive agood while like that without them tearing the cams up. Unlike say a pushrod engine).

can you do some sort of treatment (like full fuel injection system clean) to help with the noise? I think I have similar problem. I am not sure if it is fuel injectors, valves, or lifters. I am going to try thicker oil next time at station to see if it quitens the noise( telling me that it is the lifters) If not it is probably either injectors or valves, but for some reason i hear it on the left side of engine bay more.

Tick tick tick, louder when I hit on gas . Louder when its cold.

i dont mind it that much, but sometimes it gets too loud especially when driving next to other cars/highway divider. Any tips to quiten it a bit?

thanks