Tony Leung's '94 V6 Camry Turbo, First 1/4 Mile Trip

Toysrme

Fastest Camry in history.

First time at the track. Full street trim with the new lower compression 9.0:1 pistons GT40/88 @ 22psi.

Untuned on 9.0:1 pistons (Using previous 10.5:1 piston tune, same psi)

468 WHP and 431 ft-lbs - 599bhp / 551ft-lb.

Street tires, all subs/audio still in the trunk.

No brake boosting at launch, just idle, gas, and go (keep in mind, it's a 4500rpm stall convertor, along with a 7psi first gear boost limit giving him the 2.5s 60' time).

CamryBurnout.jpg

CamryStaging.jpg

Small clip of one of the passes:

CamryAug2006timeslip1.jpg

CamryAug2006timeslip2.jpg

This is an easy 11 second car with slicks, a tune. NOT including the engine can handle alot more boost on the new pistons. The man himself:

Fastest Camry in history.

Nice!

Might have been mid - low 12's with a better reaction time.

I'm not being critical - my R/T would probably be about 3 seconds (no exaggeration - it's been a looooong time!).

A street-legal Camry running 12's (or better) is amazing - most of the fabled '60's monster muscle cars would have had trouble doing 12's in street trim "back in the day". 0-60 in 2.5 is incredible - an old Hemi Cuda or big-block Chevelle couldn't touch that. Just putting his times in perspective for some of us older guys who remember those machines...

I'd love to see him lose the subs, amps & batteries, put on some wrinkly slicks and see what it can REALLY do!

Awesome job.

tck...

ps... the video link didn't work for me...

Just a good 60' time would put him at very low 12's. He's got atleast a 5 grand draintrain to worry about & substantual wheelhop to fix. Like I said, that's an easy 11 second car if he were to really launch it.

btw, that's 60 foot times LoL! His 0-60mph time is not *that* fast. The car is setup as a cruise & a bruiser. His first gear is locked at 7psi, not the 22psi he races at.

A 2.5 second 60' time is what all the stock v6's would run for a 60 foot time. Most fast fwd'ers are running 1.7-1.9s 0-60 times.

BTW. That run is on 205/50-R17's R-compound street tires.

most of the fabled '60's monster muscle cars would have had trouble doing 12's in street trim "back in the day". 0-60 in 2.5 is incredible - an old Hemi Cuda or big-block Chevelle couldn't touch that.
But not stock they're not! ;)

In retrospect; it's surprizing how damn slow muscle cars actually were in factory spec. Most of them are high 14 to mid 15 second cars! My mother's factory A/T '02 Maxima SE (With *just* 245bhp/255ft-lb) traps the 1/4 mile on my gtech consistantly faster than 99% of factory muscle cars from the 60's, early 70's. My 80 yo grandfather's first comment driving mom's maxima was, "Now *this* is a musclecar!" He owned a buick grand national up until the last few years too... And the fastest of them all is a buick grand national at 13.5.

That's what the new N/A 3.5L 2gr-fse's are trapping! The horsepower wars are back on in a really big way!

Google video no likey:

We're sorry, but this video may not be available.

Try refreshing the page to see this video.

To see more videos, visit our home page.

Tease us with a video clip, eh? <_< :D

• 3 months later...

great run i just wanted to add a comment regarding this thing with muscle cars cant touch that...my 64 ss impala freshened up 327 yes 327 with a properly geared nash 5 spd and 373 rear i did a 12.0 at the track after my 4th run.. yes it can be done

Yes it can be done... but not with a totally "stock" muscle car.

Most (all?) of them were very front-heavy, had primitive suspensions and skinny bias-ply tires as delivered.

Impossible to put all that monster V-8 horsepower down on the pavement. Incredible noise, tire smoke, and leaping lurching acceleration.. but no traction.

Having said that, it was incredibly easy (and very common practice) to bolt on some tall low-pressure slicks, get a good set of (open) headers, add a bit of carb-ignition tuning - and lose a few seconds off your 1/4 mile time for very little $$$. All those Hemi 'Cudas and SS396 Chevelles etc. that did 12 second times had SOME modifications, the guys who claimed their cars were running "stock" were lying big time. And the more a car was modified for the dragstrip, the less driveable it became on the street (and they weren't very good to begin with).

Don't get me wrong - I loved those big loud machines, so raw and overpowered. Stand on the gas and hang on - hope you're pointing in a straight line! But modern cars are SO much better engineered in every way, it's ridiculous.

I'm with Toysrme on this one - horsepower wars ARE back in a big way.

tck...

BTW - street racing is for idiots. Go to a track where you will only hurt yourself if you do something stupid. Jusy my 2 cents...

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/art.../0-60times.html

Minus a buick grand national. Muscle cars are slow crap without extensive drive-train modifications.

v6 Altima/Maxima's with $300 in mods are as fast as most mustang / Trans-camero's ever built, handle atleast as well, have 4 doors & get twice the gas mileage all around.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11...t-corvette.html

So some of the best avalible in the muscle car years:

.65g of cornering force

High 13 second 1/4 miles

Tisk tisk tisk at old american cars.

happy thanksgiving to all...Guys Guys Guys i didnt post to get into any type of large debate ive been down the road with imports and american..both have there plus and minuses...i was just adding that times /speed can be done on american muscle.."in street trim"? the time i posted with the 327 was in street trim what ever that list contains minus slicks and headers just a little tweak here and there..nothing major..also ..front sway bar disconnected....as for the buick gn or the gnx nice cars but ive beat those also

same for the mustangs,and camaro's hell ive put a good friend of mine in shock when we went light to light and i had him and he was driving a superbee w/ a 440 six pack im also not claiming to have the fastest impala either....just commenting it can be done....

theres something about a 66 vette w/a 427 4spd what will your import be worth in in 40 years..not as much as you think.....thanks for the imput........p/s i never cared for the handling, the g's or the gas mileage..thats what my other cars are for ...

Minus a buick grand national. Muscle cars are slow crap without extensive drive-train modifications.

v6 Altima/Maxima's with $300 in mods are as fast as most mustang / Trans-camero's ever built, handle atleast as well, have 4 doors & get twice the gas mileage all around.

.65g of cornering force

High 13 second 1/4 miles

Thank you for admitting import superiority. They'll be worth a hell of alot more than Impalas are... They only made 13 million *BLEEP*ing Impalas lmao!

Blah blah blah - blah blah, blah blah

Stock Supras, and MR2 can both crank out 11-12s 1/4 mile times. Yet turn, stop & get descent gas mileage all at the same time. All while increasing in value. Especially for Supras over the last 5 yers. Ouch at early Mk-IV costs. Yeesh.

So who cares? lol

happy thanksgiving to all...Guys Guys Guys i didnt post to get into any type of large debate ive been down the road with imports and american..both have there plus and minuses...i was just adding that times /speed can be done on american muscle.."in street trim"? the time i posted with the 327 was in street trim what ever that list contains minus slicks and headers just a little tweak here and there..nothing major..also ..front sway bar disconnected....as for the buick gn or the gnx nice cars but ive beat those also

same for the mustangs,and camaro's hell ive put a good friend of mine in shock when we went light to light and i had him and he was driving a superbee w/ a 440 six pack im also not claiming to have the fastest impala either....just commenting it can be done....

theres something about a 66 vette w/a 427 4spd what will your import be worth in in 40 years..not as much as you think.....thanks for the imput........p/s i never cared for the handling, the g's or the gas mileage..thats what my other cars are for ...

.65g of cornering force

High 13 second 1/4 miles

as i grab another beer...thanks your making me laugh as for admitting import superiority???? huh did i miss something in my last post????i was saying both have there +/- 's i do agree with you on one account the blah blah blah blah blah blah and worth alot more?????? LMAO big time remember the + i was talking about on imports was gas mileage...aside from that ...NADA nothing 13 million LMAO to bad we couldnt hook up....id put my impala against any imort you own in the 1/4 with the motor i have in it now...........oops heres another beer to ya....

blah blah blah but who cares anyway.... Caio

Thank you for admitting import superiority. They'll be worth a hell of alot more than Impalas are... They only made 13 million *BLEEP*ing Impalas lmao!

Blah blah blah - blah blah, blah blah

Stock Supras, and MR2 can both crank out 11-12s 1/4 mile times. Yet turn, stop & get descent gas mileage all at the same time. All while increasing in value. Especially for Supras over the last 5 yers. Ouch at early Mk-IV costs. Yeesh.

So who cares? lol

The best stock Supras and Mr2s run 13 and 14 sec 1/4s NOT 11 and 12.Don't compare Supras and MR2s to American Muscle cars for selling prices.Your most expensive stk Supra would go for 40k to 50k in absolutely brand new condition while a stk collectible muscle car can hit 7 figures, yes a million dollars.I like both imports and muscle as I currently have a 88 LX 5.0 with 450hp thanks to a shot of nitrous,my IS300 and a 1969 GS350 California.Some imports hold their value well (Supra,MR2 Turbo,300ZX twin turbo and RX7 turbo) but I haven't seen any significant increases in price yet.I worked for Toyota when the Supra Turbo stickered for 52k then they cut 15k off the sticker price to try to get them to move.Try telling customers the car they just bought had a sticker decrease of 15k.

The best stock Supras and Mr2s run 13 and 14 sec 1/4s NOT 11 and 12.Don't compare Supras and MR2s to American Muscle cars for selling prices.Your most expensive stk Supra would go for 40k to 50k in absolutely brand new condition while a stk collectible muscle car can hit 7 figures, yes a million dollars.I like both imports and muscle as I currently have a 88 LX 5.0 with 450hp thanks to a shot of nitrous,my IS300 and a 1969 GS350 California.Some imports hold their value well (Supra,MR2 Turbo,300ZX twin turbo and RX7 turbo) but I haven't seen any significant increases in price yet.I worked for Toyota when the Supra Turbo stickered for 52k then they cut 15k off the sticker price to try to get them to move.Try telling customers the car they just bought had a sticker decrease of 15k.

The old American iron that's selling for seven figures now (Hemi 'Cuda convertibles, 427 Camaros, Boss '9 Mustangs, etc.) were VERY limited production when new. You or I couldn't walk into a dealership and order one of those, only a few "in the know" people even knew they existed at all. Even the more common musclecars make a lot of money now mostly because of their rarity. There aren't many left now because they were really beat on, driven into the ground and discarded because they were relatively cheap to buy. I see those auction prices and (like everyone else my age who was into the whole car thing back then) almost want to cry, thinking of some of the cars I had or (especially) buddies of mine had back then. We just drove the sh*t out of them, had a blast, and then moved on. Nobody thought they'd ever be worth anything 35 - 40 years later. We didn't care.

My point is that you can't really compare the values of those rare, old cars with newer imports like the Supras and WRX Subarus, etc. Vastly more of the import "muscle" cars have been made and sold than any of those old million dollar gems. The situation today really does remind me of the "good old days" of the 'late'60s - early '70s - lots of fast, relatively affordable, exciting import cars to choose from. None of them seem like collector's items today. Young people buy them, hop them up with speed parts, and drive the crap out of them. Just like back in the so-called good old days. It's a good time to be a young motorhead.

The only trick now is to figure out which newer import will be the next multi-million dollar collector car of the future. There's probably some factory-built Honda Civic with a 400hp NSX engine and carbon fiber bodywork out there that nobody has ever heard of or seen that will become the icon of the era for car guys. Nobody knows... just like the old days.

My advice? Forget about "value", future or otherwise. Drive what you like, enjoy it, and don't worry about what it is or will be worth. You can look forward to saying "I used to have one of those!" 20 or 30 years from now.

tck...

BTW - Street racing is for morons.

BTW 64 impala...

I learned to drive in a '64 Chevy Nova - 2 door post, straight 6 with "3 on the tree". I had another Nova, '64 coupe with a 283 V8 - great little car! A good buddy of mine had a plain-jane '66 Chevy Biscayne (similar to your impala) with a 396 and a huge 4-barrel carb the size of a Civic's entire engine. The best part - it was painted a brilliant lime green with a flat black hood. It looked like it should glow in the dark. We spent a lot of time at the nearest drag strip with that! ET's weren't that great, it had no bottom end power, all top end. At about 60 feet it would hook up and smoke the tires, finish the 1/4 mile FAST. But he usually lost because of his poor starts. We never did figure out why it sputtered and kicked off the line, but what did we know? We were just kids. I'll never forget the rush I got when it did hook up, the big V8 howling, rubber smoke everywhere, trying to steer it straight while hanging on for dear life...

So I'm with you. I go way back with the old American iron. I'd love to have an impala or one of my Novas back, but time marches on. My ES300 is SO much better engineered - it's just nowhere near as much fun!

Enjoy your Impala - I'm jealous.

tck...

quote name='tckcumming' date='Nov 26 2006, 11:31 AM' post='216466']

BTW 64 impala...

I learned to drive in a '64 Chevy Nova - 2 door post, straight 6 with "3 on the tree". I had another Nova, '64 coupe with a 283 V8 - great little car! A good buddy of mine had a plain-jane '66 Chevy Biscayne (similar to your impala) with a 396 and a huge 4-barrel carb the size of a Civic's entire engine. The best part - it was painted a brilliant lime green with a flat black hood. It looked like it should glow in the dark. We spent a lot of time at the nearest drag strip with that! ET's weren't that great, it had no bottom end power, all top end. At about 60 feet it would hook up and smoke the tires, finish the 1/4 mile FAST. But he usually lost because of his poor starts. We never did figure out why it sputtered and kicked off the line, but what did we know? We were just kids. I'll never forget the rush I got when it did hook up, the big V8 howling, rubber smoke everywhere, trying to steer it straight while hanging on for dear life...

So I'm with you. I go way back with the old American iron. I'd love to have an impala or one of my Novas back, but time marches on. My ES300 is SO much better engineered - it's just nowhere near as much fun!

Enjoy your Impala - I'm jealous.

tck...

TCK

hey dont get me wrong I love my 98 ES 300 got a great deal on the car low miles and in excellent shape.altho had to replace the tranny..got that at a steal . car runs and drives like new it is an amazeing car...since you like novas ill send you a pic of mine ill also send a pic of the 64 in another day or so...

take care 64

post-26556-1164680860_thumb.jpg

TCK

hey dont get me wrong I love my 98 ES 300 got a great deal on the car low miles and in excellent shape.altho had to replace the tranny..got that at a steal . car runs and drives like new it is an amazeing car...since you like novas ill send you a pic of mine ill also send a pic of the 64 in another day or so...

take care 64

Nice!

Here's my '64 283 coupe.

post-10851-1164685182_thumb.jpg post-10851-1164685252_thumb.jpg

These pictures are "borrowed" fom the 'net... but mine was just like this.

tck...