Display Going Out On Nav Screen

My Mark Levinson Nav screen on the '02 GS 430 may be going out :cries: . When you start the car, and on every screen there is a line going through the display about a 1/3 of the way down, it seems to be about 2 pixels thick, all the way across the screen. Is there a way to reset the system and fix this? Any help would be appreciated. I am in the Palm Springs area and the car was parked in the garage for a long weekend of 110 plus degrees without any windows cracked, but that's normal for here. Also I did have an I-Pod interface hooked up to the stereo, but that was about 3 months ago.

Thanks,

Tim

Sure sounds like a dying LCD screen to me. I've seen this happen in other products, but not in a Lexus. Are you friendly with the dealer? How many miles do you have on the car, warranty? Hope your dealer is friendly because the Nav./CLimate control unit is in the $5,000.00 range for a new one.

I've seen this on a GS before. Sometimes the dealership can "goodwill" the part and have you pay for the labor to replace it. I think this means that they get Lexus to cover the part under warranty somehow, and just charge you their technician's labor. You are just barely out of warranty by time I guess, so you should be able to argue this in a nice way with them.

If this fails, and if you bought the car there, you could put a little more pressure on them by mentioning that you HAD been thinking of buying a new Lexus next year, but now this problem came up and you may go to M Benz.

I can't really comment about whether it will get worse or not-I don't know, but I did see the very same thing in a GS that was approx the same era as yours, and I know the dealer changed it out to fix the problem. Since your warranty so recently expired (mileage hasn't but I guess the 4 years has) then you may have even more leverage with the dealer. I would just call them and ask a service writer. They may have seen the same thing several times.

You sure its not under warranty? Its so close that I personally would push for it to be covered. The warranty is 4 years 50k miles, you're under the miles and have got to be close to the years.

The nav screen is why I bought the extended warranty LOL

If this fails, and if you bought the car there, you could put a little more pressure on them by mentioning that you HAD been thinking of buying a new Lexus next year, but now this problem came up and you may go to M Benz.

The service people don't care if you buy another Lexus.

• 4 weeks later...

:D Just an update. The car is definitely out of warranty, but my service rep is really cool with me and is having Lexus fix it out of goodwill! They had recently replaced a key out of goodwill also! I can't say enough how glad I am that I bought this car. The dealership service experiences have always been stellar and included decent loaner cars, I didn't even buy the car from a lexus dealer... I also have an '04 Land Rover Discovery, several Ford Trucks and 3 Scion XB's. The Scions have yet to go in for service but no other dealer has even come close to the service quality I have recieved from Lexus. For this type of vehicle I think I am sold on Lexus for life!

Tim

• 2 weeks later...