98 Ls400 Won't Start Every Time

lewbob

My 98 400 is having a starter issue. It does not engage every time. I have replaced the battery, checked connections at battery terminals, same prob exists. It feels like a bad connection as at times it cranks right up with no problem. Is the cable that connects to the starter a continuousrun from the battery. Can you get to the start connection without taking the intake off? I will be testing out the relay this evening to verify it's condition. Thanks for your help.

do a search for this one, you'll find a lot of helpful information on it. It is most likely in your starter, the slider pin connector. It's a pain in the butt to get to the start though. Trust me, do a search, you'll see one fairly recently with pictures.

Cant get to the connections without taking off the intake. Your starter is wearing down, and a shortly a day will come when you cannot start it period. Just hope your in your garage when that happens. I suggest you change the Starter ASAP. You might get away with changing the contacts, but other parts of the starter will get you sooner or later, and its pretty long job to get to the starter.

Did you get my PM on Clublexus? I live in Tampa, btw.