Auto Auction Ls430

I am contemplating buying a 2003 LS430 from a dealer(not Lexus)...........he has been around for around 9 years and has sold over 8,000 cars in that time. He is well known and has a good reputation. I want a 2003 LS 430 white, w/Nav and less than 35k miles. I have a price in mind (around $35-36k). He thinks that his full-time buyer can find one like the one I want. He will be going to Manheim Auctions to find the car.

My question is how much do dealers actually buy these cars for? I know they have to make a profit but I am curious as to what "auction" prices are. I realize a more popular car will command a higher price but other than that what profit are we talking about? $2k, 3k.......................

I am contemplating buying a 2003 LS430 from a dealer...........he has been around for around 9 years and has sold over 8,000 cars in that time. He is well known and has a good reputation. I want a 2003 LS 430 white, w/Nav and less than 35k miles. I have a price in mind (around $35-36k). He thinks that his full-time buyer can find one like the one I want. He will be going to Manheim Auctions to find the car.

My question is how much do dealers actually buy these cars for? I know they have to make a profit but I am curious as to what "auction" prices are. I realize a more popular car will command a higher price but other than that what profit are we talking about? $2k, 3k.......................

Hi,

Why dont you find a dealer who can let you accompany him into the Manheim Auction (Riverside ,CA). You can then inspect the car prior to bidding and decide beforehand on how high you would like to bid. You can also make a deal with your dealer on how much you would pay him over the cost of the car ($100 ~ $500).

This way you would be more in control. I can try and get you the name of a dealer in the LA area who may be able to facilitate that.

Goodluck

guds

Thanks but I live in Nashville and I can't be flying to CA for an auto auction. BTW, my dealer will be calling me and conferencing in the buyer who will be looking at the car before he bids. Plus he said that there will be no problems or I can walk away (within reason of course).

This way you would be more in control. I can try and get you the name of a dealer in the LA area who may be able to facilitate that.

Goodluck

guds

hi guds am from LA also, if you dont mind giving me the contact name for the auction ive been wanting to go to this auctions myself, you can just PM me if you dont mind thanks

I doubt if you have to go all the way to an auto auction in L.A. to locate a "2003 LS 430 white, w/Nav and less than 35k miles". There are auto auctions all over the U.S. If your 8,000 unit used car dealer thinks he has to go all the way to L.A., I suggest you drop him and deal with someone else. I wouldn't be concerned with how much a dealer pays for a used LS at an auto auction. Why care? Your goal is to buy a car like you want at a competitive price and the used car dealer or broker's goal is to make a profit large enough to feed his family.

Personally I don't care how much the used car dealer paid at an auto auction for the white 2000 LS400 with 38,000 miles I bought in 2003. I hope he made a buttload of money - he's a great guy. All I care about is that I bought a very nice car -- better optioned than I was looking for -- from him at about $8,000 less than what the local Lexus dealer wanted in 2003 for several 2000 LS400's with similar mileage but fewer options. Like you I wanted a car with a bit fewer miles (36,000) miles but 38,000 miles was close enough -- I suggest that you be a little flexible on mileage and options. Who knows, you might get a nicer LS than what you are looking for -- like I did.

If you really want to buy a car at Manheim in L.A. and want to attend the auction, a roundtrip airline ticket to L.A. is cheap compared to a $35-36,000 price for a car. Hey, I've changed planes in Nashville numerous times so I know there are airports in Tennessee. LOL!

I doubt if you have to go all the way to an auto auction in L.A. to locate a "2003 LS 430 white, w/Nav and less than 35k miles". There are auto auctions all over the U.S. If your 8,000 unit used car dealer thinks he has to go all the way to L.A., I suggest you drop him and deal with someone else. I wouldn't be concerned with how much a dealer pays for a used LS at an auto auction. Why care? Your goal is to buy a car like you want at a competitive price and the used car dealer or broker's goal is to make a profit large enough to feed his family.

Personally I don't care how much the used car dealer paid at an auto auction for the white 2000 LS400 with 38,000 miles I bought in 2003. I hope he made a buttload of money - he's a great guy. All I care about is that I bought a very nice car -- better optioned than I was looking for -- from him at about $8,000 less than what the local Lexus dealer wanted in 2003 for several 2000 LS400's with similar mileage but fewer options. Like you I wanted a car with a bit fewer miles (36,000) miles but 38,000 miles was close enough -- I suggest that you be a little flexible on mileage and options. Who knows, you might get a nicer LS than what you are looking for -- like I did.

If you really want to buy a car at Manheim in L.A. and want to attend the auction, a roundtrip airline ticket to L.A. is cheap compared to a $35-36,000 price for a car. Hey, I've changed planes in Nashville numerous times so I know there are airports in Tennessee. LOL!

WOW, I appreciate all the feedback but first a few things:

1) I NEVER said ANYTHING about LA! The poster after my initial post made that assumption

2) I know what I WANT to pay for a car I was JUST curious------that's all really. I am VERY confident that my dealer will get what I want.