Need Advise On Shift Solenoid And Od Speed Sensor

erubin

Hi,

My 1990 LS400 has 120,000 miles. Transmission shifts fine until I've gotten the trans really hot (over 15 miles). The OD light then starts blinking intermittantly and the car shifts badly (feels like it goes from first to OD directly).

I pulled the following codes:

Code 63 shift solenoid #2

Code 67 OD direct clutch speed sensor

After erasing the errors i get both codes back after driving enough.

I've already drained and filled with T-IV fluid even though the existing fluid looked/smelled fine.

What do you suggest:

1. drop the pan, replace solenoid #2 and the OD speed sensor

or

2. clean the solenoid rather than replacing ot

Dropping the pan is a drag not to mention loss of fluid so i'd like to only do it once. on the other hand the shift solenoid is not cheap so don't want to replace it if it just needs cleaning.

The fact that the error only occurs when the fluid gets real hot should be a hint i believe.

Update: I erased the codes and drove the car until the OD light began to blink. Immediately checked codes and only code 63 (shift solenoid #2) was triggered.

Does anyone on this forum have experiemnce with these shift solenoids and would try to answer my question.

The aftermarket shift solenoids (by Rostra) come as a pair (#1 & #2 shift solenoids) and cost about $125.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thank you for all the help. This forrum is wonderful.

On the way home from buying a 1991 LS400 - 114k miles - the O/D light started flashing and the trany forgot that it had more than 2 gears. I was sick. There went my good deal.

I looked at several posts on this subject and then had the tranny flushed. ($190 at Toyota dealer)

All the problems went away in the next 20 miles.

Thanks again to all that contributed. :