Spark Plugs

I just turned 80K mi. on my 2000 GS400. The car runs fine but I was wondering if a lot of people here changed their spark plugs prematurely and why. The dealer says they are good for 120K mi. Doesn't the efficiency of the spark plug decrease as it gets closer to its 120k mi. replacement point? For those of you who changed your plugs what kind of plugs did you use and did the car drive better, smoother, more responsive etc.?

Thanks,

Nick

I just turned 80K mi. on my 2000 GS400. The car runs fine but I was wondering if a lot of people here changed their spark plugs prematurely and why. The dealer says they are good for 120K mi. Doesn't the efficiency of the spark plug decrease as it gets closer to its 120k mi. replacement point? For those of you who changed your plugs what kind of plugs did you use and did the car drive better, smoother, more responsive etc.?

Thanks,

Nick

Stay with iridiums, They last the 120,000. But feel free to change them at will.

I pulled the plugs the other day and noticed they were pretty black and had "wet" oil on the base of the threading (by the nut). The center electrode looked grayish brown in color ( a little more on the gray side). Is this normal burning or should these be replaced?

Thanks, :)

I pulled the plugs the other day and noticed they were pretty black and had "wet" oil on the base of the threading (by the nut). The center electrode looked grayish brown in color ( a little more on the gray side). Is this normal burning or should these be replaced?

Thanks, :)

Replace them. :cheers: Make sure they are torqued properly. I think 17 lb's. I could be wrong though.

Someone will chime in with the spec. ( I hope ).

Thanks DCFISH. You suggested iridiums in your previous post; should I go with NGK or DENSO. What about performance plugs such as Torque Masters - a waste of time or beneficial?

Nick

gs400's come from the factory with iridiums. Go to a toyota dealer and purchase them there. Cheaper than a lexus dealer. :cheers:

Stay away from any aftermarket plugs. ;)

Torque masters seem to be the popular choice on CL.They all have good things to say about them.

That would be rolling the dice. :chairshot: Plugs are a very important part. Do not take a short cut.

NGK and Denso make the best spark plugs in the world. Period. Torque Master, Split Fire, and all the rest are gimmicks.

The biggest problem with long interval plug changes is that the plugs can sieze in the head. That's bad. It is also a good idea to check them every now and then just to get an idea on engine condition. For the trouble to get to them, change them. And change them whenever you want. I go about 60k miles (100k kilometers) myself.

I found the Lexus dealer sells iridium NGK cheaper than my supplier can sell me platinums wholesale. Go figure. I buy them at the dealer now.

Torque masters seem to be the popular choice on CL.They all have good things to say about them.

That would be rolling the dice.:chairshot: Plugs are a very important part. Do not take a short cut.

NGK and Denso make the best spark plugs in the world. Period. Torque Master, Split Fire, and all the rest are gimmicks.

The biggest problem with long interval plug changes is that the plugs can sieze in the head. That's bad. It is also a good idea to check them every now and then just to get an idea on engine condition. For the trouble to get to them, change them. And change them whenever you want. I go about 60k miles (100k kilometers) myself.

I found the Lexus dealer sells iridium NGK cheaper than my supplier can sell me platinums wholesale. Go figure. I buy them at the dealer now.

I agree alot of these things are gimmicks like the splitfire but there have to be atleast 50 CL members that swear by them They have varying amounts of mods and seem to know theyre stuff.Im going to give them a shot and will post back.I also agree Denso and NGK make the best plugs but if you dont try something youll never know.

I agree!

You won't gain anything by using sub par plugs. Maybe a few bucks but in the long run you'll pay. Good Luck.

A little note for you........once you've changed them , if you get Idling problems , unhook your battery for 5 min. it will reboot the computer.

I had to do it with mine and it worked

Dukabor