Remote Programming Problems

es4me

I am pretty new to this site and I must say that all of the information that I have found has been great. I have a 94 ES and a 97 ES. I have just bought a new remote for the 97 ES from ebay which came with programming directions.

Before I received the remote I did a search and found a couple of sets of instructions on how to get the remote programmed. I recvd. the remote and compared all 3 types of instructions, which by the way all were not too different.

My poblem is: :( (1.) After I have completed the lock and unlock procedure twice, with the closing and opening of door in betwen, I put the key in the ignition and turn. The car is suppose to do a lock cycle but nothing happens. I have repeated these sequeces several times each time going a little slower than before. :( (2.) Could my car be in prohibition mode where it won't allow me to program another remote? And if so how do i change that? :cries: (3) Finally, the only key I have to this 97 ES is the valet key. does anyone know if that could be one of the contributing problems.

Despartely Seeking Help

ES4me

First, I'd make sure that the code on the back of the remote corresponds correctly to the model year of your ES.

Second, try these instructions. I have a 97 ES and these instructions worked perfectly for me.

1. Driver's door open and unlocked, all other doors closed and locked.

2. Insert YOUR key in ignition, DO NOT TURN, remove key.

3. Using the lock/unlock button ON THE DRIVERS DOOR, slowly press lock and unlock 5 times (count the lock 5 times and unlock 5 times).

4. Shut door.

5. Open door.

6. Using the lock/unlock button ON THE DRIVERS DOOR, slowly press lock and unlock 5 times (count the lock 5 times and unlock 5 times).

7. With the door open insert your key into the ignition, turn to on position (DON'T START), wait 5 seconds.

8. Turn off and remove key.

9. Locks should cycle once (Car will lock and then unlock once). If they don't cycle or they cycle more than once, do steps 1-7 over.

10. Now using the remote, push lock button, hold for one second, release. The locks should cycle once. If not, start over and go slower.

11. Close the door. Open the door. Press the lock button on the remote. The locks should cycle. Close the door. Press the lock button on the remote, the doors should lock. Press again and the doors should unlock.

Third, I would try to obtain the master key. The valet key is not a fully functioning key (hence its name). I believe the valet key will only unlock the doors and start the engine, not allowing you to unlock/lock the glove compartment or trunk. This could be a potential problem in the future, not to mention that it might be causing you some problems in attempting to program your remote.

Good luck!

First, I'd make sure that the code on the back of the remote corresponds correctly to the model year of your ES.

Second, try these instructions. I have a 97 ES and these instructions worked perfectly for me.

3. Using the lock/unlock button ON THE DRIVERS DOOR, slowly press lock and unlock 5 times (count the lock 5 times and unlock 5 times).

4. Shut door.

5. Open door.

6. Using the lock/unlock button ON THE DRIVERS DOOR, slowly press lock and unlock 5 times (count the lock 5 times and unlock 5 times).

7. With the door open insert your key into the ignition, turn to on position (DON'T START), wait 5 seconds.

9. Locks should cycle once (Car will lock and then unlock once). If they don't cycle or they cycle more than once, do steps 1-7 over.

10. Now using the remote, push lock button, hold for one second, release. The locks should cycle once. If not, start over and go slower.

11. Close the door. Open the door. Press the lock button on the remote. The locks should cycle. Close the door. Press the lock button on the remote, the doors should lock. Press again and the doors should unlock.

Third, I would try to obtain the master key. The valet key is not a fully functioning key (hence its name). I believe the valet key will only unlock the doors and start the engine, not allowing you to unlock/lock the glove compartment or trunk. This could be a potential problem in the future, not to mention that it might be causing you some problems in attempting to program your remote.

Good luck!

Thanks, I actually have the same set of instructions! I tried once more and still no kind of lock cycle. You may be right, it could be the vallet key that I have, I will go ahead and get the master key and hope for the best!

• 1 month later...

4. Shut door.

5. Open door.

Good luck!

Chad,

These instructions worked - PERFECTLY !!!! The instructions I received from the seller of the remote on Ebay were a little too complicated. Again, thanks to you and everyone who moderates this priceless websight.