Black Onyx Paint

I have a 2005 ES330 and am having issues with chips/marks on the front of the car. The dealer is saying that it is from dirt/sand on the road. When the car is clean there are a ton of white spots all over the bumper, hood and mirrors. I spoke to a body shop owner this morning and was told that there is not a lot they can do to fix it except touch up the spots and recommended that I apply a clear bra. I would not even consider applying the clear bra until the front is fixed to an acceptable condition. Has anyone has issues with this and if so, if there anything I can do to make the spots less noticeable?

Any help would be appreciated.

Unfortunately thats just the territory, mine's the same way. There's nothing you can do but have the whole front end repainted and apply a clear bra.

Cleaning the car well, touching up the spots, claying the front, polishing and waxing helps, but not a whole lot.

I guess I am surprised at the quality of paint on a Lexus. You'd think for the money, it would be better quality. Has your paint gotten worse over time? I just hate to think of paying for a car that will look like crap in 2 years.

It doesnt have anything to do with Lexus, the easier chipping comes from the new VOC regs which forced automakers to change their paint formulations. It caused some issues with chipping and smooth paint application.

It, of course, gets worse over time. Its not THAT bad, mines got 75k miles on it and there are chips and I see them but most people don't.

It doesnt have anything to do with Lexus, the easier chipping comes from the new VOC regs which forced automakers to change their paint formulations. It caused some issues with chipping and smooth paint application.

It, of course, gets worse over time. Its not THAT bad, mines got 75k miles on it and there are chips and I see them but most people don't.

I agree. Mine has slight to mod spots but with over 100K miles and living in MA (driving everyday) that is normal.My car still looks better then 90% of them out there! :D

Since we're on the subject of paint....

Any idea if Lexus color sands their cars before clearing?

Acura does this with the RL, but not with any other model, and you can definitely see the difference.

The paint on the MDX looks nice but in the sunlight, with my critical eye, I can see the mountainess terain of my paint coats.

It would have looked tons better if it was color sanded first.

• 3 weeks later...

Can a body shop color sand a car if they're re-painting one? And is it recommended to have done? Just want to make sure when mine gets painted know it will look good. Also, are those VOC regulations also placed on paint that the body shop will use to re-paint the car?