Help! No Recirculate A/c When Switch Is Depressed

bitsbucket

Hi,

Have a 97 LS-400, when recirculate is chosen on A/C control panel, I hear no vents closing, and air becomes no cooler, it is ALWAYS pulling air from the outside of the car. I can tell becuase even if recirculate is chosen, I can, for instance, smell fresh cut grass when going by mowers on the side of the road. Also, the air can not reach chosen temp in south GA, this is a REAL problem, I checked the referigrant level and it's OK (actually a little over charged) However, in 89 to 95 degree heat I can NEVER get to 72 to 74 interior temp, My wifes RX-300 does this with ease....... any solutions?

Also, my wifes RX-300 will leak water into the passenger compartment in heavy rain, we have had it checked several times, with no luck, but she has discovered that if she puts plastic bags over the fresh air intake for the A/c it is less of a problem (obivously this is when the car is parked) it does not seem to do it if the car is being driven in the rain.

I have 2 Nissan Maximas that both have well over 150K miles, and I have spent less on repairs on them combined than on either my 2K RX-300 OR my 97 LS-400......I will NEVER but a Lexus again,,,,,,they have been nothing but trouble from the get go...... Please help me change my mind on this. I do the routine maint. and am a technical person by trade ( Air Force Radar, Sub Launched missle tech, computer tech...so I am NOT dumb....I know how to use a volt/ohm meter, and have turned wreches most of my life) However I am now 50 years old and do not wnat to be my own auto mechanic, but everytime I take it to someone the work is subpar and now I am back in the auto repair business (not of my choosing, but if you want it done right you have to so it yourself!!!)

All help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

John

It sounds like your damper door is blocked with leaves probably.

You need to also check your filter for debris.

There is a hvac test in the general section as well.

Where is the damper door located? Can I get to it from outside or inside the car? Is there much to dismantle to get to it?

Thanks for the help and I will look at the A/C test in the general section also, but I don't have a repair manual for the car, do you know where I can get one that is good for a low price?

Thanks again,

John

Actually if you remove the pollen filter you should be able to see, above the filter slot, the fresh/recir damper/vane move to and fro as you switch between the modes.