Rear Tail Light Bulbs

Alan C

Hey guys -

Thank you ahead of time your help and information.

I have 93 LS400, and I keep having to replace my lower left brake light. I have had to change the bulb 2 different times within the last month. I bought Sylvania LL bulbs, yet they continue to burn out.

Do you think I got some "bad bulbs" or is it maybe an electrical problem?

I would just let it go, but the Maryland State Troopers get really bored sometimes and like to pull me over; and, on top of that, that orange light on the instrument panel gets really annoying!

If you have any insight, or suggestions it would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Alan C

Lovin' my LS!

Anyone who owns an early to mid-90's LS model that is experiencing electrical problems should check the wiring harness attached to the driver's side trunk hinge. There have been numerous posts on this forum concerning this particular problem. Do a search to get more information.

I have never heard of this causing bulbs to burn out; however, the problems caused by this factory flaw are numerous and seem to affect different cars in different ways.

Pull the harness away from the hinge, cut off the tape wrapped around the harness, and see if any of the wires are broken. The most common problem is a broken ground wire. It is white with a black stripe. Splice a new piece of wire onto the broken ends, rewrap with tape, and put the harness back in place.

Some folks have found more than one of these wires broken. This apparently occurs because the wires are not long enough, and the stress put on them by the opening and closing of the trunk eventually breaks some of them.