Transmission Fluid - Dirty

jc19907

Hello,

I took my 99 LS in for routine oil change at Toyota - the tech showed me my trans fluid and it was looking a little brownish. He suggested I get it flushed. I had a drain and fill done about 30K ago. I drive lots of highway miles probably a ratio of 60/40 highway to city and I drive a total of 20K annually.

The car runs fine - just seeing if brownish fluid is usual for these cars at my milage. Mine has 95K on it.

Any worries? Also, should I get a full fluid flush done? Or, just do another drain and fill?

Thanks,

A drain and fill does almost nothing for a dirty trans. Just 2 quarts come out. Have it flushed and you will be clean and good to go for another 30,000 miles. I exchange all my fluid myself every 20k. Once its flushed you can start a drain and fill routine every oil change but thats a pain in the butt, I would just flush it every 30k. A clean tranny will last you forever. A dirty tranny will just eat itself up. Good for mechanics and parts people, bad for you.