Fuel Requirements For '06 Gs300 Awd

A seasoned member like you would know what most us would say which is .

Long term reliability power and economy will be sacrificed by using anything but premium.

That I know, but here's the reason I asked this question. In almost every year of the ES Owners Manuals they mention that regular grade fuel could be used with somewhat less performance. I noticed that the compression ratio in the ES's are lower then the 6 cylinder '06 GS's, so I wanted to know.....does the 2006 GS300 AWD mention anything about using a regular grade fuel?

My friend just bought a GS300 AWD and he was under the impression that you could use regular grade fuel if need be......and I told him NO. This is the main reason for this thread. :)

Ahh , see i knew there had to be more to the question to make it complicated.

:)

I don't know ,do they both share the same engine code since the crank is different?

I can't answer that question, but I would appreciate it if someone that has an '06 GS300 AWD would look in their owners manual and tell me what it says about the fuel requirements for this car, and is anything mentioned about using regular grade fuel? Thank you.

I can't answer that question, but I would appreciate it if someone that has an '06 GS300 AWD would look in their owners manual and tell me what it says about the fuel requirements for this car, and is anything mentioned about using regular grade fuel? Thank you.

It says, "Premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher required for optimum engine performance. However, if such premium type cannot be obtained, you may use unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating as low as 87 (Research Octane Number 91).

"Use of unleaded fuel with an octaine number or rating lower than state above will cause persistent heavy knocking. If severe, this will lead to engine damage."

Didn't your friend's GS come with an owner's manual?

• 6 months later...

It says, "Premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher required for optimum engine performance. However, if such premium type cannot be obtained, you may use unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating as low as 87 (Research Octane Number 91).

"Use of unleaded fuel with an octaine number or rating lower than state above will cause persistent heavy knocking. If severe, this will lead to engine damage."

Didn't your friend's GS come with an owner's manual?

We all have the same user menu. My question is, what is the different between "Octane Rating 87" and "Research Octane Number 91"? What I need to know is, what kind of gasoline should GS300 user choose? 87 or 91?

My question is, what is the different between "Octane Rating 87" and "Research Octane Number 91"?

Back in the day, octane was rated 2 different ways, one was Research, and the other was Motor. Different gas stations posted whichever they wanted, usually the one that had the highest number. After regulation, most pumps now say "R+M/2" which would be the avarage of the two. I don't know about the AWD, but I put 87 octane in my '06 GS300 and it runs great, and I get about 26 MPG. Of the 14K miles I put on it, I only tried premium 92 octane once and could not tell the difference. Not scientific. but it's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)