How Difficult Is It To Install A Trailer Hitch On An Rs330?

AlexD

I've got an '05 RX330 with awd and the towing prep package. I was under the impression that that included the trailer hitch receiver, but I guess I'm mistaken.

What's involved in getting the trailer hitch on my car? Is it welded on, or is it a fairly simple bolt-on that I could do myself? Or is it something that is done at the factory?

Could one of you folks who's got a hitch take a look under your car and see how it's attached?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Heh, whoops. Nevermind. Searching is a wonderful thing!

For anyone who might be curious, the trailer hitch is a bolt-on affair, and if you've got the towing prep package, it comes pre-wired for electrical back there. Shouldn't be too difficult for even someone like me.

I happened to have a hitch installed on our 00 LS today and it looks remarkably like the four hitches for the 2005 RX330 illustrated at http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp?model...amp;t1=&h=e where I bought my LS hitch. At least you have quite a few choices - I had only one choice - a Draw-Tite.

I attempted to install the hitch myself a few weeks ago but the holes in the hitch brackets did not line up properly with the muffler hanger bracket holes under the trunk. Both an etrailer rep and people at a local hitch shop told me that it is common to have to bend the hitch brackets to make a hitch fit. If the bracket holes had lined up, it would have been less than a thirty minute job.

I had a local hitch company bend the hitch bracket and install the hitch -- I think they took a few swings with a sledge hammer to bend the brackets the total of about 3/8 inch needed. They also partially wired for trailer lights -- I'll run the hot wire up to the battery myself laster. For now I just want to plug our bike rack into the hitch.

These hitches are heavy -- the job is a lot easier if you have another person holding the other end of the hitch in place as you screw in the bolts. And be ready with a sledge hammer just in case! LOL