European Side Turn Signals For The Ls430

hawkshaw

I bought a set from a dealer in London for my first LS 16 years ago while there on vacation -- they were inexpensive -- probably the equivalent of $15-$20 each. I also bought the "pigtail" wiring harnesses for them which were available for collision repair. There was no prewiring so I wired them to the front turn signals. I had the signals installed by a body shop at a cost of less than $100 but I did the wiring myself. I installed them due to vision issues and because the front turn signals of the early LS were not visible from the side. It was quite a shock to switch from a Mercedes sedan and suddenly realize that people could not see the LS front turn signals from the side. From 98 up, front turn signals on the LS can be seen from the side but still it would be nice to have the side ones too. Not having them has not been much of an issue with my 00 LS but my vision is much improved too.

For any particular year, the side mounted turn signals are the same on many U.K./Euro Toyota/Lexus models - I noticed that the side turn signals on Euro Corollas and Land Rovers were the same as on the LS. Some current U.S. Toyota/Scion models have fender mounted side turn signals and they would probably work just as well as the ones used in Europe/U.K. on the LS430: http://www.scion.com/showroom/xa/gallery/

BTW, the side turn signals simply plug into the hole in the fender and are held in place by a "springy plastic thingy" on the signal housing. One changes the bulbs simply by prying the turn signal out with a screw driver. Here is a photo from the gallery showing the side signals on the 90 LS I sold a few years back: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=si&img=803

The U.K. dealer I bought the signals from (Park Lane Lexus/Toyota) had an export license and later shipped other items I ordered by phone to my U.S. address.