Check Engine Light On

hello I got a lexus 98 es 300, my check engine light comes on and off by itself. what is it about ? I am selling the car, so need the fix the problem and sell it soon. pls help me with any suggestions.

any one a a hundred codes could be setting your CEL off. Since it is intermitent, it can be as simple as a deteriorating gas cap gasket or more involved like an O2 sensor that is on its way out.

The majority of the codes are emissions related. Unfortunately, you don't know where to start looking for the culprit until you have the codes read.

Go to Autozone and have them pull the code(s). Post them up here and we can help you better.

Even if the CEL is off when you get the codes read, they should remain in memory for a short period of time.

steviej

any one a a hundred codes could be setting your CEL off. Since it is intermitent, it can be as simple as a deteriorating gas cap gasket or more involved like an O2 sensor that is on its way out.

The majority of the codes are emissions related. Unfortunately, you don't know where to start looking for the culprit until you have the codes read.

Go to Autozone and have them pull the code(s). Post them up here and we can help you better.

Even if the CEL is off when you get the codes read, they should remain in memory for a short period of time.

steviej

Ok I will go to autozone and get the codes checked, thanks so much.

steviej

Ok I will go to autozone and get the codes checked, thanks so much.

Hello my genius buddies, I got the code from autozone 0170, saying fuel trim or something, so I still dont know what it means and what i should do ? pls help.