Zen And The Art Of Lexus Maintenance

Leadfoot

I read the book "Zen and the art of Motorcyle maintenance" by Robert M Pirsig years ago and it came back to me recently whilst I was replacing the rotors and pads on my old LS400. I was deeply impressed with the quality of the materials used, the design of the parts and the ease of working on a reasonably complicated piece of machinery.

One of the things I found most interesting in the book was the description of gumption traps. You know when you are working on something and stuff starts to go wrong, your bloodpressure rises and the job just seems to get away on you? The solution offered was to have quality tools and hold them for a while and let the quality seep back into you. I know it sounds really new age :wacko: but I really felt this way working on the lexus. It was really nice to spend the time working on it.

Or it could just be that the winter has been long and cold and summer is finally here and I can work outside without freezing to death!

:cheers:

Overall the LS has been a good and easy car to work on. My only beef is that stuff in the engine bay is designed to be accessible only by Hokkaido Island forest pixies, but other than that, pretty straightforward. Yes, beautifully engineered.

Hokkaido Island forest pixies

Shouldn't it be Honshu Island forest pixies considering its Lexus? Those southern types found near Nagoya are a smaller variety, so that probably explains the accessibility issues, which I will encounter when I try and fix my leaking EGR pipe.

;)

Hokkaido Island forest pixies

Shouldn't it be Honshu Island forest pixies considering its Lexus? Those southern types found near Nagoya are a smaller variety, so that probably explains the accessibility issues, which I will encounter when I try and fix my leaking EGR pipe.

;)

*SIGH* I'm confused..... although it could be refrigerator gnomes come to think of it.....maybe their union diversified? :blink: