Mechanical Breakdown Insurance

ojairon

I recently bought a RX300-1999 with 71000 miles. After reading the topics on this site, I am thinking of purchasing MBI for the vehicle. Any ideas or recommendations? I have AAA. I am thinking about an extended warrantee--is it worth the money ($1700 for an additional 75000 miles for 5 years)?

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought a RX300-1999 with 71000 miles. After reading the topics on this site, I am thinking of purchasing MBI for the vehicle. Any ideas or recommendations?

I do not know what expectations you have for coverage/cost BUT I can assure you the $50 or so yearly cost for AAA has given the absolute biggest peace of mind possible. A whole lot of benefits for a cost that pays for itself with one towing.

Right after getting AAA my RX300 completely died at a light, at night on a very busy 4 lane road... all power was lost so I couldnt even turn on the flashers... without AAA, I would have had to leave the vehicle and find a phone book to start calling tow trucks...figure out which had the capability of towing an RX300(usually put on a flatbed looking truck), how soon could they respond, the cost...determine where to take the vehicle...start calling on a rental...etc....all that was avoided and all that legwork done in 5 minutes...out of pocket cost? $0. Also, the shop the car was towed to deferred to the dealer so AAA again arranged for the vehicle to be transported to the dealer...my cost? $0.

You can be stranded anywhere and they will get someone to you...lno hiking to a rest stop to call and beg the closest tow truck to drive 150 miles in the middle of the night to get you running...and to be quick about it...and that you do not expect to pay more than $50....

Lockouts, out of gas whatever...they even take care of you when not driving your own car...

I'll get off the soapbox now =)

I recently bought a RX300-1999 with 71000 miles. After reading the topics on this site, I am thinking of purchasing MBI for the vehicle. Any ideas or recommendations?

I do not know what expectations you have for coverage/cost BUT I can assure you the $50 or so yearly cost for AAA has given the absolute biggest peace of mind possible. A whole lot of benefits for a cost that pays for itself with one towing.

Right after getting AAA my RX300 completely died at a light, at night on a very busy 4 lane road... all power was lost so I couldnt even turn on the flashers... without AAA, I would have had to leave the vehicle and find a phone book to start calling tow trucks...figure out which had the capability of towing an RX300(usually put on a flatbed looking truck), how soon could they respond, the cost...determine where to take the vehicle...start calling on a rental...etc....all that was avoided and all that legwork done in 5 minutes...out of pocket cost? $0. Also, the shop the car was towed to deferred to the dealer so AAA again arranged for the vehicle to be transported to the dealer...my cost? $0.

You can be stranded anywhere and they will get someone to you...lno hiking to a rest stop to call and beg the closest tow truck to drive 150 miles in the middle of the night to get you running...and to be quick about it...and that you do not expect to pay more than $50....

Lockouts, out of gas whatever...they even take care of you when not driving your own car...

I will have to 2nd that...

I personally have Allstate Motor Club which depending on the package can range 50-155. This will cover any vehicle that I am driving...even if I don't own it....as said Flats, lockouts, battery, discounts, etc...all included. I have not used it my self...now my wife...2 times this year. Flat tire, fuel pump...towed to our choice of garage or theirs...echoed out of pocket $0. That has paid my membership for 4 years...

The best thing about motor club plans are if you are traveling! Not sure who to call...all taken care of! :D

Definitely a good thing to have, but you never said what the problem was with the RX. Was a cause of the problem ever deduced?

According to the dealer, the alternator had gone bad and caused a short in the entire electrical system... I got the impression they were not sure and had just replaced the 3 most likely culprits.

Definitely a good thing to have, but you never said what the problem was with the RX. Was a cause of the problem ever deduced?

According to the dealer, the alternator had gone bad and caused a short in the entire electrical system... I got the impression they were not sure and had just replaced the 3 most likely culprits.